News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

High Level Bridge Streetcar / ERRS

I would have introduced myself to you chaps but you were clearly busy. Looks like that Whyte Ave terminal is a big hit!
Yes, Cliff is right. My experience last year was tainted by covid restrictions, but the foot traffic alone is much better from what I've experienced. Lots of people walk by, stop to ask a question or two, then leave. We wouldn't be able to plant that seed nearly as much at Old Strathcona; the foot traffic there is only moderately comparable on farmers market days, and even then it hasn't been great ever since they started keeping their north-facing doors shut. We keep track of "interactions" (not just sales) at that stop, and yesterday Cliff and I interacted with over 400 people.

Looks great, Me and my daughter's drove past on Saturday after coming back from the Alberta Railway Museum. They wanted to go for a street car ride so we will be back soon enough.

Any plans for anything else on the terminal site? Historical information signs? Temporary tent or building/shack for ticket sales/information?

I was suggesting to the ARM (Ab railway museum) they should get some pamphlets or something out to the street car area and vice versa to try a little bit of cross promotion.
I'm so glad they want to ride it! You should come by on Saturdays if possible, because that's when our Museum at the old strathcona streetcar barn is open (10am–2pm), and it's free to go inside!

Our Osaka 247 car is there on Saturdays and long weekends (including today), and it has info boards that talk about the original ERR, the society, and the streetcars on the HLB line. Tickets can also be sold from inside there on rainy days when it's not ideal to have a table set up on the platform. We don't have it there on the other days, since ticket sellers/outreach volunteers aren't there to watch it.

20220523_103124.jpg

As for longer term plans, the city owns the replica C&E railway station, and in the past they flirted with the idea of relocating it to the parking lot where the used car dealership is (right next to the Whyte Ave platform). But that was pre-covid, and those were just high level ideas being tossed around. If they did move it, the ERRS wants to move its museum there so that they can add a fourth track to the barn. But they're not banking on that happening, let alone in the next decade. Beyond that, I'm not sure what they have in mind.

@CplKlinger are there discussions with the Gondola crew re a joint use station at Whyte that might incorporate the C&E station to serve both entities, perhaps conjoined with a new building that respects the history or that complements it such as has been done with the Connector Building between the Boardwalk and Revillon Building on 102nd Avenue?

Edmonton project potentials are often bedeviled by "solo-think" that ignores outside possibilities. I could imagine that a Gondola station that has an ERR museum attached would be a winner on all sides.

@CplKlinger are there discussions with the Gondola crew re a joint use station at Whyte that might incorporate the C&E station to serve both entities, perhaps conjoined with a new building that respects the history or that complements it such as has been done with the Connector Building between the Boardwalk and Revillon Building on 102nd Avenue?

Edmonton project potentials are often bedeviled by "solo-think" that ignores outside possibilities. I could imagine that a Gondola station that has an ERR museum attached would be a winner on all sides.
I haven't asked about that, but I think that is a great idea. The Gondola isn't stopping at Whyte anymore, it'll be a block or two north closer to the farmers market and streetcar barn. I'd love to see it take on a C&E aesthetic, as long as they can make it work with two storeys (I'm not sure if the replica is one or two storeys). The ERRS is at a bit of a disadvantage, in that their future here really relies on other parties no matter what — whether that party be the city (and the organization that leases it from them and subleases it to us), or Prairie Sky, so the move isn't something that they can really initiate. @PrairieSkyGondola Has this idea been considered yet?

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the standard A3 CPR Western Canadian Station (in a rather poor state of repair) -- is this what you were referring to?
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 12.12.14 PM.png

couldn't get a photo of it (i broke the outer lens on my phone camera and now it won't focus properly) but Car 33 was very full all afternoon today; as in, standing room full, people-standing-in-the-vestibules-next-to-the-doors full on most runs. we had to stop selling tickets before the last run so as to not oversell the car. it was a sight to see; that 110-year-old china cabinet on wheels chock full of people, rumbling down the line.
the new Whyte Ave extension is a huge boon to ERRS' visibility and (hopefully, when we aren't too full) rider experience. that being said, if anyone is planning on riding the streetcar, try to start your day on Whyte with it. we had to stop selling tickets early, and turn people away after the car left. service is reduced right now because most of our drivers are still in the process of re-certifying for the season. a lot of people were surprised/confused by the low frequency, but it's all we can offer right now.
Gonna put it here so it's available: service (only Fri-Mon) starts at Whyte at 11, reaches Jasper Ave at 11:20. 45 minute frequency currently. last run is early, the car leaves Whyte at 3:30 and Jasper Ave at 3:50 to return.

couldn't get a photo of it (i broke the outer lens on my phone camera and now it won't focus properly) but Car 33 was very full all afternoon today; as in, standing room full, people-standing-in-the-vestibules-next-to-the-doors full on most runs. we had to stop selling tickets before the last run so as to not oversell the car. it was a sight to see; that 110-year-old china cabinet on wheels chock full of people, rumbling down the line.
I was one of those people! Definitely packed, but not uncomfortably so. Great to see the Society receiving a huge increase in ridership

service is reduced right now because most of our drivers are still in the process of re-certifying for the season. a lot of people were surprised/confused by the low frequency, but it's all we can offer right now.
That's very true. Even if more of the current motormen were certified to drive on the High Level Bridge (HLB) line, I believe they'd still be short. Training for new motormen takes place at Fort Ed Park (FEP) because the HLB line has too much vehicle traffic to contend with, so no new motormen could be trained for three years while the park was undergoing renovations. Plus, no current FEP motormen could qualify on the HLB line since they need 40 hours (~8 shifts) of passenger service at FEP (passenger service means that doing loops after-hours does not count, although qualified motormen are allowed to practice alone if they wish to) before they can train on the HLB line. As a cherry on top, some older motormen did not return last year when they started service late, due to concerns about Covid. I am not sure if they all returned as of now.

Either way, the ERRS has at least a three year training deficit that they're trying to rectify. I'll be certified at FEP this coming week if my certification run with passengers goes well, and I believe there's seven others currently training at FEP. That means July/August 2022 will most likely be the earliest that we see new motormen qualifying on the HLB line, unless one or two power through their 40 service hours at FEP. In the meantime, it is hoped that these new motormen can cover much of the FEP service so that the seasoned motormen can focus on serving the HLB line.

The HLB line used to operate seven days per week, and two car service was the standard to aim for on busy days like today. Right now, we are down to four day service, and it has only been one car so far (although the specific car alternates between Melbourne 930 and Edmonton 33). There has been talk here in the past about how nice it would be to see this line go elsewhere, but as I've said many times before, their largest priority right now is stabilizing and optimizing the current service. There is a long road toward 7-day service with 1-2 cars, and keep in mind that this is all done by volunteers.

The Whyte Ave stop is absolutely a blessing for them, and I have absolutely loved helping out at that stop, but this highlights the need for more people who are passionate about history, public service, railways, mechanical stuff, etc. to help out. Whether you want to learn a trade like woodworking or metal fabrication, you want to drive a streetcar, you're interested in archival or museum work, or you just want to spend a couple of hours here and there selling tickets. Every bit helps, and this is a wonderful organization to volunteer with. As I hope Cliff can attest, the members are unbelievably friendly, welcoming, and eager to pass on what they know.

If you're interested and want to learn more, don't hesitate to shoot me a DM. If you don't have the time or interest in helping out, at the least please consider passing on word about the HLB line, the work the ERRS does, and its need for more volunteers.

That's my soapbox rant for the month, thanks for reading it (if you made it this far lol)

Last edited:
Streetcar service is currently only operating between Whyte Ave and Government Centre; police are checking out a suspicious package and closed off the nearby track in the meantime. The officer said they could take an hour or two to deal with it, so it's not currently known when full service will resume.
20220604_115933.jpg

Simple, effective.

How about a second one with a bridge over Jasper, a stop at 102ave, 104 and a turnaround at the MacEwan residence:)
thee notion of crossing 104 Ave elicited an eye twitch. Streetcars can barely cross Gateway and Calgary Trail without getting blocked or sideswiped by drivers, even with the signals. 4 lanes of heavy traffic and an LRT line (on 104 in a few years) is impossible.
Crossing Japer on a bridge would be lovely though! we just need a bridge lol

Back