News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

For What it's Worth

Emphasis mine.

"Desert sand grains, eroded by the wind rather than water, is too smooth and rounded to bind together for construction purposes. The sand that is highly sought after is more angular and can lock together. It is typically sourced and extracted from seabeds, coastlines, quarries and rivers around the world.

"China and India top the list of areas where sand extraction impacts on rivers, lakes and on coastlines, largely as a result of soaring infrastructure and construction demand. UNEP has previously warned of thriving “sand mafias,” with groups comprising of builders, dealers and businessmen known to be operating in countries such as Cambodia, Vietnam, Kenya and Sierra Leone. Activists working to shine a light on their activities, UNEP said, are being threatened and even killed.

"'It is still very much new. In many of the development policies, there is no-one even talking about this issue of sand, where it is coming from, the social impacts or the environmental impacts, so there is a lot of things to be done,' Gallagher [a Global Sand Observatory Initiative official] said. 'Yet, no big plans, no standard on how it should be extracted, no land planning on where you should extract and where you should not extract, no monitoring to where it is coming from in most of the places (and) no enforcement of laws because countries are pondering between development needs and the protection of the environment.'"

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 8.13.19 AM.png

@CplKlinger in the same vein as your posts...
By the way -- for context -- the entire State of California has done away with Single Family Zoning allowing ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units) and JADUs (Junior Accessory Dwelling Units) to be built on any residential property over-riding local municipal mandates.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just a little plea I'd like to make, in light of the recent events in Ukraine:

If you have any friends who are Ukrainian, especially those who still have family there, call them, let them know you're there for them. Hearing about war is terrible and sad, but seeing the effect it has on real people is devastating.

Me and my wife helping one of best friends find her parents, who lived in Donetsk and haven't made any contact since 2 days ago, when they said they'd flee the country. The desperation and angst are real and heartbreaking, but letting them know you love them and doing even the smallest act of kindness can ease that a little bit.

THE 'UKRAINIAN EVERYMAN'
AFP_323X3ZR.jpg
Handout/Ukraine presidency/AFP via Getty Images
A former comedian, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy swept to power in 2019 with 73 per cent of the vote. While he holds a law degree, Zelenskyy is best known for the Ukrainian political satire television series Servant of the People. Now, he's leading his country through a war with Russia — holding steadfast when a more experienced politician might shy away from such a bold stance.

I had to post this -- it gives a sense of "being there" -- it underscores the feeling of helplessness brought on by the bastard Putin. The world needs to be rid of him!!!

Back