News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Federal Politics

I’m sure this has come up in other threads but there is a new law coming that prevents further collaboration between the federal government and the cities without the provincial government’s consent. I find it very troubling that the city is losing one of its last bits of independence, especially when our needs aren’t being met provincially.

It's not the end of the world, Quebec also has a similar law, Quebec has it's own provincial police, it's own immigration policy. Working out good for them.

It's not the end of the world, Quebec also has a similar law, Quebec has it's own provincial police, it's own immigration policy. Working out good for them.
Is it actually working out good for them? I've got family in Quebec and I wouldn't say everything is hunky dory. As chaotic as things are here right now, I'd much rather be in Alberta.

The federal government is probably a lot more lenient on them than they would be on Alberta they really don’t need our vote

I’m sure this has come up in other threads but there is a new law coming that prevents further collaboration between the federal government and the cities without the provincial government’s consent. I find it very troubling that the city is losing one of its last bits of independence, especially when our needs aren’t being met provincially.

"Smith says the Trudeau government bases its decisions on who has had the most success lobbying the prime minister and it leaves many places out in the cold."

Guess it takes one to know one huh

This isn't about Smith wanting to protect the province from undue federal influence as she says. Edmonton has already implemented the changes necessary to get the accelerator fund. This is about 2 things:

1 - Screwing over Edmonton
2 - Screwing over Trudeau (if the accelerator fund were at all successful, it would be a big political victory for the Liberals)

There is literally no other reason.

She accuses the feds of treating certain places unfairly for political reasons, and then goes and does the exact thing she claims the feds are doing.

This goes to show once again that the UCP is so petty they will intentionally tank their capital city out of spite. The next election can't come soon enough.

God part of me wishes we were much more aggressive in increasing Edmonton's political influence by more people/businesses and economic punching power. We'd be less susceptible to these stupid and genuinely hurtful decisions. I'd love it if the Feds (out of spite) just funneled a ton of money before this law even gets implemented.

She accuses the feds of treating certain places unfairly for political reasons, and then goes and does the exact thing she claims the feds are doing.

The federal government is probably a lot more lenient on them than they would be on Alberta they really don’t need our vote

Sadly, for all the talk of the Federal Government doing nothing for Alberta and how we should be treated better, It’ll now codified by law that there will be a massive barrier to stop the Liberals from trying to remedy that.

Is it actually working out good for them? I've got family in Quebec and I wouldn't say everything is hunky dory. As chaotic as things are here right now, I'd much rather be in Alberta.
I've never been to Quebec ( would love to visit), but some people seem to point out that Quebec is better, rent controls, healthcare, day care etc.
Whenever AB proposes looking at things already implemented in other provinces then people here lose their minds, eg, pension plan, our own police force.

Last edited:
I've never been to Quebec ( would love to visit), but some people seem to point out that Quebec is better, rent controls, healthcare, day care etc.
Whenever AB proposes looking at things already implemented in other provinces then people here lose their minds, eg, pension plan, our own police force.
Quebec has a history mostly for language and culture reasons of doing their own thing and some of it like day care has been ahead of the curve.

The rest of Canada has, at least until recently has seemed to be more cohesive. But if you are just setting things up out of spite or vindictiveness and justifying it by saying someone else did it, that does not seem like a strong argument to me.

Back