News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

EVER (on Baseline Commercial Plaza) | Ever Red

Lol. Sure a lot of keyboard anger these days.

It's a suburban style development in a...suburb community.

Why the hell is Connor McDavid playing hockey with a HOCKEY stick instead of a ringette stick? What an ignorant and uninspired phony. He could choose to revolutionize the game but instead he takes the easy way out. Pathetic.

Why the hell is Connor McDavid playing hockey with a HOCKEY stick instead of a ringette stick? What an ignorant and uninspired phony. He could choose to revolutionize the game but instead he takes the easy way out. Pathetic.

Well to me, North American auto-centric urban development actively spits in the face of what a city is supposed to be, so that's where my beef comes from. "Suburban" shouldn't mean that all your daily needs are only practically and comfortably accessible with a $10000/year admission price + the huge risks that come with driving. This may be just be another mundane strip mall, sure, but its an outcome of a large societal issue that aggravates me to no end.

I wouldn't compare suburbs to hockey. I'd say it's more like golf, but each fairway is extremely long and if you want to walk, you're required to use a very indirect and narrow pathway, or you could try to walk on the very direct, very wide and busy golf cart path while people yell at you to "get a job and a golf cart!!" while passing within an inch of you. Point is, just because it's suburban doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be deeply unpleasant, and there are many examples of suburban developments that don't fit the typical sea of concrete nightmares like this one.

I wouldn't compare suburbs to hockey. I'd say it's more like golf, but each fairway is extremely long and if you want to walk, you're required to use a very indirect and narrow pathway, or you could try to walk on the very direct, very wide and busy golf cart path while people yell at you to "get a job and a golf cart!!" while passing within an inch of you. Point is, just because it's suburban doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be deeply unpleasant, and there are many examples of suburban developments that don't fit the typical sea of concrete nightmares like this one.

Lol I think your comparison is pretty spot on!

I will say, what I'll give Canadian suburbs over American ones, for example, is that ours are getting way denser and contain more options for housing. We also have lots of shared-use paths everywhere (often too narrow but still) and some mixed-use buildings are starting to pop up. Still, transit planning for any mode besides cars is lackluster at best, nonexistent at worst (which is very problematic considering that things are getting denser), stroads are everywhere, and most commercial is still relegated to strip malls exactly like EVER.

I guess what's crazy to me, having the interests that I do, is that people don't see a problem with this. Like... it's just taken for granted that you will spend thousands of dollars on a car, that's just how life is. Literally doesn't have to be the case.

Let put it this way for you:

McDavid has to play hockey with a huge hockey stick like everyone else, even though a smaller stick would work better for him to maneuver and work with and is technically allowed. If he tries using a smaller one, though, all the other players and game watchers yell at and heckle him, saying that the game "only works with a bigger stick" and that he's 'trying to impose his "woke" and "liberal" smaller-stick philosophy onto everyone else', even though he's literally just existing, not to mention that the game was played with smaller sticks historically. So, he caves and uses the bigger stick, costing him his own performance to align with the values that the broader society imposes on him. Does that seem okay to you?

This is just an analogy btw, don't come for my lackluster knowledge of hockey please 😭

Last edited:
Well to me, North American auto-centric urban development actively spits in the face of what a city is supposed to be, so that's where my beef comes from. "Suburban" shouldn't mean that all your daily needs are only practically and comfortably accessible with a $10000/year admission price + the huge risks that come with driving. This may be just be another mundane strip mall, sure, but its an outcome of a large societal issue that aggravates me to no end.
I feel that Sherwood Park has put up a lot of barriers in order to keep the community exclusive and desireable. From pricier real estate (more the result of supply and demand) to the largely car centric development other than Centre in the Park. I'm surprised they have as much transit as they do with their fancy double decker buses.

I will say, what I'll give Canadian suburbs over American ones, for example, is that ours are getting way denser and contain more options for housing. We also have lots of shared-use paths everywhere (often too narrow but still) and some mixed-use buildings are starting to pop up. Still, transit planning for any mode besides cars is lackluster at best, nonexistent at worst (which is very problematic considering that things are getting denser), stroads are everywhere, and most commercial is still relegated to strip malls exactly like EVER.

I guess what's crazy to me, having the interests that I do, is that people don't see a problem with this. Like... it's just taken for granted that you will spend thousands of dollars on a car, that's just how life is. Literally doesn't have to be the case.
I'm shocked the extent American urban planners will go to segregate communities. There's that video on residents being forced to drive a couple of miles to a grocery store because they would not build a 1/4 mile shared use path. Then the comments from Americans like "who will maintain the path" "who would get sweaty walking to a store or risk running into wildlife" "cars are freedom but by the way it's all Biden's fault gas is $5 a gallon".

I think the conventional thinking about suburban development in Canada will have to change a lot over the next decade.

First, in many cities there are limits on the amount of land available, so development will need to be done differently and better. Second, a lot of younger people are not as interested in a very car-centric life.

Back