7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Esports

Kaizen

Member Bio
Reaction score

New game plan: Edmonton aims to host big esports events​

"I think Edmonton has the capability of being the esports leader in this country, if not North America," Knack told council at a meeting Tuesday.

With bigger events matching turnouts at tournaments like FIFA, the Stanley Cup, and the Grey Cup, Knack argues there are big economic benefits for Edmonton.

The city's biggest contribution could be offering Rogers Place as a venue for future events. The city has access to the arena 28 days a year, and rarely uses it, city managers said.

A large arena with a big screen showing video games.

A general view during the final of League of Legends tournament between Team G2 Esports and Team FunPlus Phoenix, in Paris, Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019. The biggest e-sports event of the year saw a Chinese team, FunPlus Phoenix, crowned as world champions of the video game League of Legends. Thousands of fans packed a Paris arena for the event, which marked another step forward for the growing esports business. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus) (The Associated Press)

"I think Edmonton has the capability of being the esports leader in this country, if not North America," Knack told council at a meeting Tuesday.

On what basis?

Many N.A. cities already host major e-sport events, competitions, conference type atmospheres and a number have their own dedicated spaces. While being aspirational is one thing, Councillor Knack is player 1 game over with that comment.

On what basis?

Many N.A. cities already host major e-sport events, competitions, conference type atmospheres and a number have their own dedicated spaces. While being aspirational is one thing, Councillor Knack is player 1 game over with that comment.
Chase one-off niche sporting events is the most Edmonton thing we can do.

I would love to hear a councilor one time come out with a plan for a real, sustainable, coherent plan that says "we need more commercial/businesses to view investment/relocation to downtown, and this is my plan to do it"

Alas, let's chase more one-off events that will fill a couple hotel rooms for a weekend.

Back