News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton's Population

Calgary is already seeing. Our large inventory is keeping the issues at bay, for now, but I have friends who moved from other provinces to Calgary and rents there have skyrocketed in the past 6 months, and even the requirements are similar to some places in the GTA or Vancouver (3-6 months of rent in advance, long wait lists, bidding, etc, for some places in the city).
It seems to be starting here too. I’m noticing low supply and rents probably 10-20% higher than the last few years

It seems to be starting here too. I’m noticing low supply and rents probably 10-20% higher than the last few years
The one things this all gives me hope for is that we'll see a few things move faster tan most of us were predicting (Parks Tower 2, Falcon 2, Stationlands Phase II) handsome proposed things move forward (Jasper Place, Hat Old Strathcona, CX projects in Grandin/Oliver, etc...).

The one things this all gives me hope for is that we'll see a few things move faster tan most of us were predicting (Parks Tower 2, Falcon 2, Stationlands Phase II) handsome proposed things move forward (Jasper Place, Hat Old Strathcona, CX projects in Grandin/Oliver, etc...).
I mean 146,000 people/year need to go somewhere...

I mean 146,000 people/year need to go somewhere...
We’ve also had incredible growth for 15 years and most of those people didn’t land in our core. No guarantee the next 15 isn’t just more sprawl. Definitely need more than genera pop growth to see high density thrive. Especially when many people moving here are doing so to ditch pricey, small housing options to look for larger homes/land. The “leave Toronto to get cheap housing in Alberta” I imagine has most looking for bigger homes, not another 600sqft condo.

This spring housing market hasn't been bad but also hasn't been red hot. Reports do indicate vacancy rates are going down and I think that slack paired with the fact we are used to healthy population growth rates in the region means that we can handle it well.

Now if Calgary becomes unaffordable and Edmonton region becomes the only big city option in Alberta that pressure could become too much. It bodes well for future phases of some of these large condo/rental buildings but that is longer term.

The Edmonton real estate forum is tomorrow. Will be very interest to hear industry's perspective on the Alberta population growth and how that impacts Edmonton and real estate development activity. At Calgary's forum in October last year all the discussion was about how Calgary is going to boom and benefit from a ton of multi-family growth as the majority of population influx is going and is projected to go there.

Edmonton needs a lot more affordable multifamily projects, and if downtown doesnt benefit from growth now with the influx of population growth then I am not sure when/how Edmonton would benefit otherwise.

The Edmonton real estate forum is tomorrow. Will be very interest to hear industry's perspective on the Alberta population growth and how that impacts Edmonton and real estate development activity. At Calgary's forum in October last year all the discussion was about how Calgary is going to boom and benefit from a ton of multi-family growth as the majority of population influx is going and is projected to go there.

Edmonton needs a lot more affordable multifamily projects, and if downtown doesnt benefit from growth now with the influx of population growth then I am not sure when/how Edmonton would benefit otherwise.
I think a few things will help downtown, in this regard. The Warehouse District Park, the renovation in Beaver House and Michener Parks. We need to start positioning DT as family friendly, and these can help.
It might also be the best time to focus on changes to address safety, both in the LRT and the streets. I have heard from a few people (and I know its anecdotal, but might provide insights) that moved here recently, that one of the main reasons why they didn't consider downtown is because the reputation of poor safety is VERY strong, even though they had never even been here.

We’ve also had incredible growth for 15 years and most of those people didn’t land in our core. No guarantee the next 15 isn’t just more sprawl. Definitely need more than genera pop growth to see high density thrive. Especially when many people moving here are doing so to ditch pricey, small housing options to look for larger homes/land. The “leave Toronto to get cheap housing in Alberta” I imagine has most looking for bigger homes, not another 600sqft condo.
Historically people moving here have mostly been suburban buyers, but I think recent higher interest rates probably means some shift from buyers to renters for those coming now and in the near future.

So yeah, if you move from Toronto you may still have a smaller condo here (although probably a bit bigger than there), but what you will have is $1,500/mo. less in cost. As Toronto rents continue to increase, more and more people can't afford them.

Some positive news. Edmonton performed best of all Canadian cities between 2001 to 2021 in terms of increasing its population density. The three worst cities were Ottawa, Hamilton and Winnipeg.

And with the direction Edmonton is taking with its City Plan, we should continue to trend up.

Screenshot_20230608-235210_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230608-235253_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230609-001125_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
“It also was an opportunity for us to really think about how to enhance our collaboration, because if we’re going to meet that goal of accommodating those next million people and those 470,000 jobs, we all have to lean in on this — not just EMRB, not just UDI, but we really need to raise the profile of what comes before us.”

Back