Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Is anyone really surprised??! No matter who is responsible for the clean-up, the lack of overall civic pride in this city is the status quo. It's disgusting and shameful. Look, for example, at the stretch of JasperAve redone with the fancy lights et al. The bases look like crap now.

Ditto for any of the fancy landscaping efforts the city undertakes. It's soon overgrown by weeds with the planted trees and shrubs left to die off.

Or how about when utility work is done and decorative concrete pavers and replaced with asphalt, ruining the aesthetic? Where are the standards?

City hall is more concerned with building new things and patting themselves on the back at ribbon cuttings vs maintaining and upkeeping what we have.

Same for the private sector. It grinds my gears to see an area around a Tim Hortons look like no one cares vs that of a Tims in Vancouver, where things look pristine by comparison.

Go to many of the new neighbourhoods and see how awful people keep their landscaping.

I did use these pics to report on 311 along with the graffiti on the library sign. The cases are still open.

Thanks for your in reporting to 311, @TAS. I should stop by sometime this weekend and do my own 311 reporting. I think something will be done with the bird shit issue if enough of us demand it.

Is anyone really surprised??! No matter who is responsible for the clean-up, the lack of overall civic pride in this city is the status quo. It's disgusting and shameful. Look, for example, at the stretch of JasperAve redone with the fancy lights et al. The bases look like crap now.

Ditto for any of the fancy landscaping efforts the city undertakes. It's soon overgrown by weeds with the planted trees and shrubs left to die off.

Or how about when utility work is done and decorative concrete pavers and replaced with asphalt, ruining the aesthetic? Where are the standards?

City hall is more concerned with building new things and patting themselves on the back at ribbon cuttings vs maintaining and upkeeping what we have.

Same for the private sector. It grinds my gears to see an area around a Tim Hortons look like no one cares vs that of a Tims in Vancouver, where things look pristine by comparison.

Go to many of the new neighbourhoods and see how awful people keep their landscaping.
So true. The amount of friends I have who are like “I would never live in a condo or townhouse. I want a big backyard.”

Then these are literally their backyards:

016A95F6-A86B-4BF5-8D0B-DB14591A6B37.jpeg
FF6D0A67-3B72-4C3A-A243-52BA465C8BC8.jpeg
EFDE00DD-F8AD-4FFD-A31E-4108ECB0442A.jpeg

So true. The amount of friends I have who are like “I would never live in a condo or townhouse. I want a big backyard.”

Then these are literally their backyards:

View attachment 530379

Even though Costco is practically in their backyard, that fencing and hill will prevent any walking from ever taking place. 😖

You think this is bad, you should see the gull disaster at Seaworld in San Diego. Those flying rats nailed me twice, once each on two different occasions. And there is a section of downtown Los Angeles affectionately known as "Pigeon Poop Pass". Where there are pigeons there is poop. I have read that birds have no control over their bowel expressions and therefore the results are frequent and indiscriminate. I was told that it is God's entertainment mode. Wouldn't it be fun if they could be trained to target certain people in formation bombing.
Wow, somewhere else is worse, ago we shouldn't strive to be better 😱

Yeah, I'm not seeing as much security in Churchill or 102 St, and they definitely could use that presence.

On the upside, ridership for this line is pretty decent, at least on weekends when I take it. 5 min frequency during peak though? Absolutely beautiful, a gold standard that the rest of the system should follow honestly.

Of course you didn't. They "need more resources". Spamming 311 might help, but who knows.
Like I've seen Peace Officers and vested security once in a while. Last weekend I saw some Peace Officers actually INSIDE the train and take someone outside, truly an anomaly.

They honestly could just have constant presence in Churchill and 102 and that'll improve perceptions a ton. don't even need to be on trains.

Back