Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Nice to hear that the cables were replaced, now how about the reason they corroded, exposure to the elements, so naturally I'd hope the vaults/boxes etc. where the exposure occurred were also replaced.
Interesting thought, when the line is eventually turned over to the city in say 30 years, guess what will have to be replaced...

Back in action:
IMG_0810.jpeg

Here's the TransEd news release

Valley Line Southeast LRT – Update – Performance Demonstration Testing and Service Commencement

TransEd, the company responsible for the design, build, operations and maintenance of the Edmonton Valley Line Southeast LRT, is pleased to provide an update on the project.

As previously announced, testing identified cables that needed to be replaced to improve long-term system reliability. Today, we are pleased to announce cable replacement is complete, and line-wide train testing has resumed. “Replacement of the cables over the past nine weeks ensures the system will operate safely and reliably over the next 30 years,” says Dallas Lindskoog, TransEd spokesperson.

Concurrent with this upgrade, TransEd has continued to finalize and submit the required documentation for review by the independent certifiers who need to sign off on the system before the line can open for passenger service. In the next few weeks, trains will operate along the entire 13km, mimicking regular passenger service to demonstrate to the certifiers and the City that the Valley Line Southeast LRT is ready to open. We continue to work closely with the City, and more information about the opening date this fall will be provided as final testing and independent certification nears completion.

Any new guesses on an open date? Oct 1? Thanksgiving? Nov 1? Christmas?

I really wonder what will happen around Davies Station once the Valley Line starts running. A lot of the businesses around W. P. Wagner are older shops or businesses. It may stay that way given the small parcels of land, but I don’t think that riders at Davies Station would that area as anything more than a transfer point. I think something related to education might work given Wagner is a science-oriented school, compared to the prison that it started out as.

Trains creating quite the traffic gong show this afternoon around Bonnie Doon. 5+ minutes delay according to Google maps. There has to be a better way to coordinate traffic signals.

Fencing still around the Bonnie doon station. Also noticed that there is two of those light up no right turn/train signs at 83 street southbound and whyte ave - maybe I'm misremembering, but I think there was only one above the right turn lane on the north side of the intersection - there is one on the main signal south of Whyte ave as well.

Trains creating quite the traffic gong show this afternoon around Bonnie Doon. 5+ minutes delay according to Google maps. There has to be a better way to coordinate traffic signals.

Fencing still around the Bonnie doon station. Also noticed that there is two of those light up no right turn/train signs at 83 street southbound and whyte ave - maybe I'm misremembering, but I think there was only one above the right turn lane on the north side of the intersection - there is one on the main signal south of Whyte ave as well.
I hate to break it to you, but unless the sections are elevated, or underground, traffic will always be disrupted. I think the valley line is far superior in traffic control compared to the capital line. Drive along, or try to exit a community near 111th street when trains are running every 5 minutes, it’s horrendous. Hence why the partial priority of the valley line is better imo

I hate to break it to you, but unless the sections are elevated, or underground, traffic will always be disrupted. I think the valley line is far superior in traffic control compared to the capital line. Drive along, or try to exit a community near 111th street when trains are running every 5 minutes, it’s horrendous. Hence why the partial priority of the valley line is better imo
The issue is with the zig zag across 83 street as well as the removal of the traffic circle. I almost think they should have tried to route southbound traffic around the west side of the mall as you don't have to cross the tracks twice, but most people don't know that trick.

Hopefully people travelling by car end up avoiding this area, or better yet, use alternatives. Ultimately the LRT will reduce traffic when it opens, not increase it.

Way more people can travel through that intersection in 10 minutes via train than cars.

If the thing actually runs and runs reliably and we don't have a line like Ottawa. Transed has not instilled much confidence.

Regarding traffic in the Bonnie Doon Area, I live in that area and certainly when trains started running steadily the first time it really caused some back ups. I saw East-bound Whyte Ave backed up to the horizon sometimes, but I also certainly noticed how smooth things got right up to before they started replacing the cables. Traffic was running pretty normal and I didn't see any traffic getting really backed up.

I firmly believe the traffic we are seeing right now is simply due to the over two months of no trains running in the area and drivers just not being used to it anymore. I would think things will rebound soon, and yeah, once the train opens, and the LRT replacement buses stop, that will significantly reduce vehicle trip.

Get used to it. This kind of disruption and delay is what the city assented to when it opted for the "el cheapo" at-grade alternative to a flyover at 82 Avenue and an elevated station at Bonnie Doon.

For whatever reason I am feeling unbelievably optimistic that this LRT line will actually open before the calendar flops over to 2024.

Back