Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

So, guesses on what the goal is for the SPR closure West of Groat? The road is closed until Nov. 2023 (this fall, 5-6 months from now). the road is being completely removed, from ROW edge to ROW edge. Everything is gone. and i doubt it'll be replaced by Nov, even in temporary form. any thoughts on this?
Here's the blog post regarding the work. I don't have photos of the excavations happening right now, but when i was through there last week, everything is gone.
Edit: a pic from across the ravine. Foundation work is just starting on the west side of the bridge, some of the equipment in the background is working on the road itself.
9ADB17EC-3DDF-43E2-8FC3-C6064867C0F6.jpeg

Last edited:
So, guesses on what the goal is for the SPR closure West of Groat? The road is closed until Nov. 2023 (this fall, 5-6 months from now). the road is being completely removed, from ROW edge to ROW edge. Everything is gone. and i doubt it'll be replaced by Nov, even in temporary form. any thoughts on this?
Here's the blog post regarding the work. I don't have photos of the excavations happening right now, but when i was through there last week, everything is gone.
Edit: a pic from across the ravine. Foundation work is just starting on the west side of the bridge, some of the equipment in the background is working on the road itself.

The blog post says they'll lay track during this time. Honestly not a bad idea with no through traffic and residents can access 102 Ave or 107 Ave.

View attachment 479686
They've been full tilt slingin' those caisson piles, even saw them working on the Saturday of the long weekend. Lotta progress been made since they tore the old bridge out just over two months ago.

I'm guessing with the bad publicity the City got over businesses struggling along the LRT construction line, they want Marigold to complete as much infrastructure as possible in this closure window for the rail ROW and utilities to possibly minimize future impacts of Stony Plain Road being haphazardly closed over the course of a few years. Roads/sidewalks can be roughed in for the time being and rebuilt properly once the bridge is nearing completion--this section of road is not an arterial until that opens anyway.

View attachment 479737

Ian is saying "this guy" would be proud......

As in... everyday they are hustlin' hustlin'
Hustle, hustlin' hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm hustlin'
Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin'

Are you talking about the grass that dies back every winter and grows back every spring?

The entirety of Edmonton's river valley is green and lush except for the dead grass on the north side of the Tawatina Bridge. It could be that I'm impatient but afaik nothing has grown there for the past couple of years. I vaguely remember TransEd planting some specific quasi-exotic vegetation there, but maybe they should have just stayed with something more natural.

They've been full tilt slingin' those caisson piles, even saw them working on the Saturday of the long weekend. Lotta progress been made since they tore the old bridge out just over two months ago.

I'm guessing with the bad publicity the City got over businesses struggling along the LRT construction line, they want Marigold to complete as much infrastructure as possible in this closure window for the rail ROW and utilities to possibly minimize future impacts of Stony Plain Road being haphazardly closed over the course of a few years. Roads/sidewalks can be roughed in for the time being and rebuilt properly once the bridge is nearing completion--this section of road is not an arterial until that opens anyway.
This makes sense. From what i saw of the old road, I'm betting SPR is going to be regraded, not just replaced. the old one was level/higher than surrounding roads and properties, I'm betting the new one is 12"-24" lower to drain better. this would impact all the storm sewers in the area, as well as require new roadbed, compaction, etc. all of which seems to be a LOT to get done in 6 months. getting grading and drainage redone, and a temp street surface in before snow flies makes sense to me. I'm betting they have to reclose SPR next spring to put in the actual pavement, railslabs, track, etc.
IDK, it'll be cool to see it come together. that bridge is gonna go fast once the foundations are in, I bet.

Back