Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

We the one project that I'm paying attention to right now is the rehabilitation of 99th Street from 34th Avenue northbound. They began Construction a few weeks ago by removing the sidewalk and the road to do work underground and then also they are improving the width of the sidewalk and of course repaving the road. The reason I mentioned that project is it can be considered comparable to some of the other areas of the L R T Construction. If they can get this construction completed before other paving and concrete work are done on the Valley Line then it will just unfortunately the further Evidence to me that's they have been dragging their feet on the Valley Line where they could have completed and opened up many roadways and sidewalks enough far more timely manner.
I bet they have the same annoying attitude towards this infrastructure as they do to the underslung pedestrian path at the Tawatina Bridge: Their contract states that it needs to be finished in time for the Valley Line's commencement of operations, and so that's the deadline they're aiming for.

Well I really question some of their decisions. One example is the 73 ave intersection on 83 st. The paving of the entire intersection has been completed since last fall. The only issue is that they have not activated the new traffic lights that are at the intersection. By the way, there never were lights there before. Anyways though that intersection has been blocked off by concrete barriers since it was paved last fall. I see no logic keeping the intersection closed all this time when it has been complete.

Well I really question some of their decisions. One example is the 73 ave intersection on 83 st. The paving of the entire intersection has been completed since last fall. The only issue is that they have not activated the new traffic lights that are at the intersection. By the way, there never were lights there before. Anyways though that intersection has been blocked off by concrete barriers since it was paved last fall. I see no logic keeping the intersection closed all this time when it has been complete.
Lights are something I understand. They're connected with the train network so that the train, traffic, and pedestrian flows can very relatively balanced. Its called a partial priority signaling system, because trains are given a higher level of priority compared to other traffic, but their presence doesn't imediately trigger their right of way like on the other lines. I don't know why the east/west section is blocked off, but I bet they can't activate the lights until they're tested and certified to work properly within the broader signal network.

As for why lights were added going both directions, here's my guess: North/south so that pedestrians can cross without worrying about traffic and trains, and east/west so that idiots don't drive into the trains while trying to turn onto, or cross 83rd.

Last edited:
Lights are something I understand. They're connected with the train network so that the train, traffic, and pedestrian flows can very relatively balanced. Its called a partial priority signaling system, because trains are given a higher level of priority compared to other traffic, but their presence doesn't imediately trigger their right of way like on the other lines. I don't know why the east/west section is blocked off, but I bet they can't activate the lights until they're tested and certified to work properly within the broader signal network.

As for why lights were added going both directions, here's my guess: North/south so that pedestrians can cross without worrying about traffic and trains, and east/west so that idiots don't drive into the trains while trying to turn onto, or cross 83rd.
My point with that intersection is that could they have opened the intersection without the traffic lights to at least help the traffic flow in and out of the two communities?

My point with that intersection is that could they have opened the intersection without the traffic lights to at least help the traffic flow in and out of the two communities?
My bad; I misinterpreted this: "The only issue is that they have not activated the new traffic lights that are at the intersection. By the way, there never were lights there before. " I agree with you completely then, I feel bad for the people who live along that stretch.

Multi use trail is coming along on the bridge.
TTS_5565.JPG

Out for a walk today and got a few photos of the multi-use path which seems to finally be making some progress. I’m guessing it’ll connect to the south portion in the next couple days and then it’s only the section north of the main pier that needs to be installed.

Also noticed some brackets installed on the top of each cable pier; upon looking closer it looks like these support hanging platforms that move up each pier to put on the finishing coat on the concrete surface, which has already started on the north of the main bridge.

Speaking of platforms, it’s difficult to convey the absolute massive size of the temporary steel platforms that hang under the bridge to install the MUP. You assume they are big but you just don’t know HOW big until you’re up closer to them. Absolutely massive - everything about this bridge is HUGE!

The north work site has started to clean up nicely as well. Grading for paths to connect the MUP to the rest of the path network has begun and I can only assume that pavement will start going down in the next couple weeks.

C83E8728-7041-48A2-8DE5-BC7F2D61F898.jpeg
27EF13DD-A06D-4030-ADD1-99665A10EF53.jpeg
25516E54-98E1-4FB5-BD14-CCD17A6BFF13.jpeg
56FB7FB8-B177-42AD-BF59-8F53E03AE39D.jpeg
10BD1A05-96E7-4B33-9450-B91DC43636E8.jpeg
1F8B7742-DFD3-4B70-A3AC-6B2ED26CD82D.jpeg
395F60CC-2376-4A26-B7F0-74DD7F3E757B.jpeg
530D5D87-B7A7-45D6-A2AD-B917A5EFDD0F.jpeg
29EBA4ED-EC5C-4A74-B7A5-70F691038E07.jpeg

Back