Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I like how they painted every one of those bolts to make it easy to see if any have loosened.
Interesting, you see something similar in the verification procedure for structural bolted connections. Conventional practice for properly tightening large bolted connections involves making them snug tight, then painting them like this and proceeding to torque them further (anywhere from 1/2 turn to full turn depending on nut size) - the offset paint marks provide verification that they've been tightened. That being said they may be planning on re-torqueing them as a post delivery thing, OR, you might be right in that this is a check as part of the commissioning process.

These pics are so freaking awesome, thanks for posting them!! In another life I'd be a mechanical/electrical/civil engineer, but calculus is too hard and boring for me lmao
I doubt calculus is “too hard” for you. I feel like most people who say this don’t give themselves enough credit. It just requires practice! That said, I realize there are certain folks with learning disabilities, for whom math comes with immense challenges. But short of that, if you’re really interested in this kind of stuff I bet you could make your way through an engineering program. It might require more effort than it would for others, but you could do it.

@BFitzStructEng @archited Guys 😂 Thanks for the encouragement, but I was just kinda joking around a little. I know I could do calculus okay and maybe get into engineering if I really wanted too, but It's not where my interest lies atm. Right now I'm more focused on Urban Planning and some other related stuff, but who knows I guess, maybe I will need calc down the line because life can be crazy like dat.

@ChazYEG Thanks man, I'll keep that in the cards for later! haha

I took calculus for actuarial science and economics. :)
Me too... I`m still freaking taking calculus for my MA in Economics 😭😭 it never ends hahahaha.

@Platinum107 be my guest, man. I love teaching and as someone who never though calculus would serve me, even in urban planning and design, you`d be surprised. If you wanna talk about that a little bit, PM me ;)

@BFitzStructEng @archited Guys 😂 Thanks for the encouragement, but I was just kinda joking around a little. I know I could do calculus okay and maybe get into engineering if I really wanted too, but It's not where my interest lies atm. Right now I'm more focused on Urban Planning and some other related stuff, but who knows I guess, maybe I will need calc down the line because life can be crazy like dat.

@ChazYEG Thanks man, I'll keep that in the cards for later! haha
Lots of calculus in statistics - may have to slay the dragon if you go into urban planning. But yeah, anyways, sounds like you've got things figured out. Right on

Thanks for the link. I had registered but was unable to make it.

This 'end of the year' talk continues to disappoint me though, but like I said, given everything it does not really matter I guess... although talk around 'if it takes a little more time since we are here for 30 years' is not encouraging.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 7.56.41 AM.png

A reminder from the presentation.

Back