Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Also, took the opportunity/made the most of the trek out to Mill Woods to see the rest of the line. not much worth photos rn, but there was a lot of pole/light installation, and the stop buildings are coming along quickly. there will be a lot of progress to see in a week or two, with 75th street now getting paving and sidewalks, and streetlights and final landscaping going in south of the Whitemud.

20200923_153926.jpg
20200923_153823.jpg

Had to make a stop at the Bonnie Doon mall on my way to work today, took a few minutes to get this pictures.
Work here seems to be progressing quickly. I couldn't get more pictures of the whole area, but the Holyrood stop seems to be fairly advanced as well.
Also, @Edmcowboy11, your prayers were heard, they laid the final layer of asphalt on 83rd ave in the southbound lane between yesterday and today and now they're painting the horizontal signage so they can open all of the intersections, I guess.

Attachments

• 20200923_153732.jpg
    20200923_153732.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200923_153730.jpg
    20200923_153730.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 103
Some Valley Line West news:

And it looks like another car's arrived for the Valley Line South:

Also, @Edmcowboy11, your prayers were heard, they laid the final layer of asphalt on 83rd ave in the southbound lane between yesterday and today and now they're painting the horizontal signage so they can open all of the intersections, I guess.
I hear ya, I drove down down 83rd and was so happy to see that. I hope and wonder if 73 ave intersection will finally be reopened. It appears that everything is done except for painted lines and turning on the traffic lights at that intersection.

One area I hope gets done tonight is the intersection and road north of 95 ave on 85 st. According to TransEd's website that but of work was to be completed on or around the 20th. All that is needed as far as I can tell is the final layer of asphalt and the road can also go back to normal. As a matter of fact on 95 ave, there is also just a large square at 87st that just needs a final layer of asphalt and at 95st all the layers of asphalt are needed on the awaiting graded rock crush and thise two sections will also be completely finished. If those can be finished I'm pretty certain it will improve the mood of anyone living in that area, especially at 95st where access is completely closed at this time.

@cliffapotamus Tank u 😊

I forgot who said this earlier, but I love calling these new trains caterpillars 🐛 it's cute and makes sense, right? They're long, bendy and crawl close to the ground. Now imagine the awesomeness when TWO are coupled together 😍

Yeah, one of these vehicles is practically 1.5 high-floor LRVs worth of capacity, with the articulation and all.

Also, I wonder what the mall will do to improve connectivity from the actual mall through the parking lot to the station? I believe at least some actual walkways are in order (Not cutting across the parking lot would be nice)

Moving forward with Valley Line West, I think the city could make some headway if the following streets were closed down (like 95 Street) for a whole year:

Stony Plain Road (124 Street-102 Avenue intersection, the bridge over Groat Road could also be rebuilt)
156 Street (Meadowlark Road-100 Avenue).

^^ they're gonna have to close Stony pain Road over Groat for at least a year or two to replace the bridge, as the new road and rail will follow a more gentle curve, moving the bridge to the south. They patched that Groat Bridge together a few years ago, prior to the 102 Ave bridge replacement to limp it along to it's own replacement for the LRT. also, that bridge is nasty.
It'll be interesting to see how they choose to stage/plan/complete construction. I think the SE section proved that keeping roads open at all times during construction isn't worth it in some areas, and the ripping-off-the-band-aid approach of closing a road completely for a season to get work done faster can be better. Like I said above, it's been done before on Stony Plain Road; in fact, 107 Ave has been seeing paving work this summer in anticipation of more traffic. I think closing Stony from 124 to 102 ave is pretty much inevitable. not as familiar with further out west though; I could see closing the area of 156 around Meadowlark Mall completely given it's relatively low-traffic. idk. We'll find out in a few months when they announce the contractor!

Also, I wonder what the mall will do to improve connectivity from the actual mall through the parking lot to the station? I believe at least some actual walkways are in order (Not cutting across the parking lot would be nice)

Years ago I remember seeing a sketch of a possible extension of the mall from either Entrance 48 or 50 that reached all the way to the transit centre. I'm not even sure if it was officially from the Mall anymore, but it was intriguing.

Taken September 25, 2020
It appears that they are preparing to shft some of the traffic very soon. According to transEd they are going to shift lanes at 34ave and38ave over the next few days.
20200925_172527.jpg
Oh and the final layer of asphalt has been laid in the northbound lanes from essentially just south of 31ave all the way to 38ave.

As I was heading home it looks like they were about to lay the final layer of asphalt on the approach east of the tracks at the 36 ave intersection.

Back