Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

HOW much more clearer can it be?

I moved the sign and made it bigger, and I also made the Stop Line sign bigger.
You're welcome!

1727198748099.png

Yup. I know it's not ideal, but the major problem intersections need it. Whitemud, Roper, Whyte Ave. Seems every time there's a collision it's one of those 3. I get it's the driver's fault and we shouldn't have to, but at some point you simply have to protect your investment from idiots.
Yes. If it is drivers fault, I expect insurance hopefully eventually sorts it all out with no cost to the taxpayer, but there is also the disruption and loss of service to LRT users.

So we really have to do everything we can to minimize this sort of thing from happening.

I think we also need crossing arms or some other sort of physical intervention at many of the VLSE crossings. Anything to prevent people from driving into the trains. We will never reach a point where everyone on the road is a competent, attentive driver at all times.

It doesn’t have to be at all crossings, but definitely should be at some crossings. (Yes, the semi may just have blown through the crossing arms in this instance.)

(I also emailed Michael Janz the same suggestion. I’m trying to continue matching my voicing of opinions on SRC with voicing my opinions to those who could potentially have some ability to institute change. Haha.)

There’s this new advocacy group called Edmonton Transit Riders, which has spoken in City Council in the past about things like fare gates. I’ll be checking them out at their launch party in October and seeing if there will be opportunities to voice our desire for boom gates at intersections south of Davies Station. Maybe they’ll give it a platform in front of City Hall.

I get that people are making stupid decisions which lead to these issues but to protect from these disruptions I truly think crossing arms should be installed. Incidents still happen but sure seems like so many less with the high floor lrt intersections.

Time to bring back red light cameras and photo radar. Oh wait UCP have more or less banned them.
swing and a miss, merely going back to what photo radar was first sold to us as, in school zones, playgrounds etc. besides how many of the these recent collisions were in a former photo radar location?

There’s this new advocacy group called Edmonton Transit Riders, which has spoken in City Council in the past about things like fare gates. I’ll be checking them out at their launch party in October and seeing if there will be opportunities to voice our desire for boom gates at intersections south of Davies Station. Maybe they’ll give it a platform in front of City Hall.
how come toronto with it's street cars don't have these problems?

it's a driver issue and if the driver is already running a red or ignoring posted signage, what will a mere crossing arm do to stop it?

Impound the vehicle, cancel the insurance, cancel the licences and into the cells...

how come toronto with it's street cars don't have these problems?

it's a driver issue and if the driver is already running a red or ignoring posted signage, what will a mere crossing arm do to stop it?

Impound the vehicle, cancel the insurance, cancel the licences and into the cells...
Oh don’t get me wrong, I fully believe in exacting maximum punishment on stupid drivers for crashing into the trains. But like a lot of crimes, punishment alone is unlikely to undo the damage, so might as well try to mitigate it with crossing gates too. And moreover, it would enable faster speeds up to Avonmore Station.

Still there.

1727206789065.png

Also was wonderring why they didn't run trains all the way to Davies Station instead of Bonnie Doon and then do a bus bridge to Mill Woods from there. It's either because there are no switches between Bonnie Doon and 51 Ave and/or they aren't able to de-energize Whitemud Dr witout de-energizing Davies Station.

swing and a miss, merely going back to what photo radar was first sold to us as, in school zones, playgrounds etc. besides how many of the these recent collisions were in a former photo radar location?
So trouble spots that didn’t exist before cannot be targeted now because they didn’t exist before?😳

Back