Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I agree it's not TransEd's fault, but there could be something with the result with the way it was reported.

I agree with @ChazYEG. If some jerk-off sleeps on the tracks then he deserves what he gets. It's not TransEd's fault.

That said, I'm definitely not hostile against the LRT system, but I am more hostile towards TransEd's overall incompetence.
I was not referring to people in the forum, but the general population. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

I am not the happiest with TransEd either, but this one is not on them.

I've been down those streets - zero vehicular traffic.....that's how they do it...unless you count the Millions of homeless in that city - they could be considered traffic impediments? It'll be like driving it down Rice Howard Way.

Person sleeps on the tracks and that is TransEd`s fault how? people could very well do the same thing on any other line, so I would hope that, even if there is a lawsuit, they win (as much as I have issues with their terrible job with the line).

No one would be talking about suing CN or CP if it has happened with them... This whole hostility against the LRT is becoming exhausting already.
Train speed there is only 30 if train driver should see anything close to track he should stop right away hitting a person and not knowing then not calling police for 2 hours is not an excuse. not sure about transed but as far as I know it is not the standard procedure in ETS

When is someone going to talk about the real issue. Right hand turns on red all over the city.I walk a lot and have had all my close calls with cars doing right hand turns on red. This time because it was an LRT it makes the news. Because people are moving slower they avoid the car most of the time. We never talk about all the poeple who are bumped or just knocked down. Now the car paided the price and we are all talking about.

When is someone going to talk about the real issue. Right hand turns on red all over the city.I walk a lot and have had all my close calls with cars doing right hand turns on red. This time because it was an LRT it makes the news. Because people are moving slower they avoid the car most of the time. We never talk about all the poeple who are bumped or just knocked down. Now the car paided the price and we are all talking about.
Drivers throughout North America have become so attached to right turns on red as something normal, that taking it away feels to many like an attack. I can't imagine the backlash to trying to ban all rights-on-red throughout the city, despite that being allowed to turn on red is illegal in most developed countries.
Although I agree with you that we should ban them, but I feel like this current council probably doesn't have enough political capital at the moment to do something like that, they're still taking a lot of heat for the bike lane expansion and LRT safety.

Let's start with actual enforcement and ticketing of the places we do have rights-on-red already banned. As it stands it seems like the only traffic law they bother to enforce here is speeding, and vehicle exhaust one per year - and the many maneuvers and actions that are much riskier to life and property are routinely ignored.

Yeah they'll get right on that. Sorry but for that level of traffic enforcement they probably need at least another 500 cops to join the forces and only be assigned to traffic duty.

20230408_091312.jpg

20230408_091923.jpg

20230408_092129.jpg

20230408_092901.jpg

I still think the City is going to have to add crossing gates at certain intersections on this line. We're having way too many issues with drivers turning in front of the train. It's fascinating that City officials are simply saying "motorists will have to adjust"--usually if there's a problem intersection where accidents are happening the response isn't a blithe "the public has to start driving properly" but rather the transportation department looks into mitigation measures.

I don't know why City officials and transportation staff seem so vehemently opposed to ANY crossing gates. There are hybrid systems just like ours which have crossing gates where necessary at key intersections as well as omitting them where they would be overkill. A good example is the ION LRT in Kitchener/Waterloo, which in fact uses exactly the same vehicles we do and has a similar system where some stations/stops are directly on streets and others are in a protected corridor.

Downtown, for example, crossing gates wouldn't be needed but the 82 Avenue/83 Street intersection, where the train not only crosses a busy east-west corridor but actually crosses traffic lanes from the middle to the west side of the road, is candidate #1. Already at least one accident has happened at this site, and we can expect many more if and when revenue service actually commences. I would also put crossing gates where the line crosses the Whitemud Drive on and off ramps as well as 28 Avenue, where again the line cuts across multiple traffic lanes at an angle.

If they add crossing gates, they need to add the text, "Its here because other people were stupid".
Aren't most safety features--in pretty much anything--included because some people are stupid? Fences around electrical substations are topped with barbed wire because otherwise some idiot would try to climb over. Plastic bags have warnings about not allowing small children to play with them because some people haven't properly supervised their kids and toddlers have suffocated.

Back