Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Caisson driller and very large construction site set up next to the Gerry Wright facility. We figure out what it is again? Is it an OMF facility? Or is G.Wright already have that privilege?
Valley Line West includes an expansion to the existing Gerry Wright facility, which was built to accommodate expansion. Gerry Wright will be the main OMF for the whole Valley Line, with the facility out at Lewis Farms being for light maintenance and storage. I think the idea behind the phasing was that when the VLSE was awarded in 2016, there was no timeline or construction budget for VLW, so they chose to only build enough of an OMF to support the VLSE initially. here's Marigold's (rather sparse) page on that part of the project.

Valley Line West includes an expansion to the existing Gerry Wright facility, which was built to accommodate expansion. Gerry Wright will be the main OMF for the whole Valley Line, with the facility out at Lewis Farms being for light maintenance and storage. I think the idea behind the phasing was that when the VLSE was awarded in 2016, there was no timeline or construction budget for VLW, so they chose to only build enough of an OMF to support the VLSE initially. here's Marigold's (rather sparse) page on that part of the project.
I'll add (to lighten the tone a bit, this came off as really gruff for some reason) that there hasn't been a lot of info about this side of the project, it was just kind of shoehorned into some of the design documents that were released as part of the tender process in 2019. you had to go digging into the designs on the city website to find anything about that side of the project. dunno why it's being kept quiet. To your point, it looks like Transed messed something up again.

Strange how the city says they won’t pick a GC for the Ellerslie extension until “late 2023.” Yet Ellis Don has 3 X full-size banners on their utility work at 23rd and 111th……..”

Entirely different projects, not segments of the same project

edit: this was in reply to MacLac, was eating stew while typing (slowly) and apparently two people posted before I could finish my comment

I know they the difference between the VLSE and the Capital line extension to Ellerslie. I was trying to convey “why would Ellis Don have 3 giant banners for (only) underground utilities work?” at 23rd Ave. Or do they know something we do not know yet? As in, they have the 1.1 Billion contract for the 4.5km extension?

Yeah I meant the preliminary UG utilities work is a separate contract from when they award the GC contract for construction mgmt of the extension of it.

It’s a high traffic street on 111th there where the banners are, why not put them on a project there for the advertising even if they’re just doing prelim? Doesn’t really give me any implication they’re going to be awarded the primary contract.

Honestly, after TransEd’s extreme failure I hope I never see them as the prime contractor on any LRT project going forward.

An elevated guideway for the west leg of the Valley Line LRT would look similar to this, covering a span from 146 Street to 154 Street in order to avoid traffic at 149 Street along Stony Plain Road.
Photo by City of Edmonton /Supplied

valley-line-lrt-dialog.jpg

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/stony-plain-road-bridge-demolition-starts-thursdsay

Back