Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Really? You are worried about losing this atrocity???

1650382981038.png

I have a few ideas:
1. Expansion of Alex Decoteau Park
2. Yellowhead Brewery expansion or replacement
3. Mixed-use highrise tower including a 5-star hotel, condo/rentals and retail
4. McDonalds c/w drive-thru and parking
5. Garden
6. 3-story office building that includes a cafe and a relocated DECL office
7. Parking lot or parkade
8. Bike shop and racetrack
9. Urban hardware store (i.e. Home Hardware) - because people in the core shouldn't have to drive to Westmount or Calgary Trail
10. Skateboard park

Really? You are worried about losing this atrocity???

View attachment 393980
I suppose it is possible, but this would be a hard building to repurpose, with so few windows and so many blank walls and only two stories I think. A lot of nicer things could be built here, so hopefully that will happen. Something taller, with windows on the south and interaction with the street would be the main things I would want. Lots of nice brick on the building - it would be good if it could be reused onsite or elsewhere.

The building's facade hides a historic red brick warehouse. So many reuse potentials. There's no way they're randomly taking it down for any of the uses listed above by Gronk!.

What will replace is is probably a substation with more parking. Hopefully it's a beautiful substation. A substation with retail?!?

The building's facade hides a historic red brick warehouse. So many reuse potentials. There's no way they're randomly taking it down for any of the uses listed above by Gronk!.

What will replace is is probably a substation with more parking. Hopefully it's a beautiful substation. A substation with retail?!?

6. on my list would be doable

Unless something changed, the VLW booklet still shows the area substation as being close to 107 st, not 109 st. Nothing is marked on this property. So either they moved the substation over a couple blocks, or it's going down for another reason.
Screenshot_20220419-123544_Drive.jpg

^this is 105st/102ave and I very much recall an option for some sort of infra/utility building there from some years ago... but I cannot for the life of me recall what it was.
I believe it's being demolished due to the alley turnaround that will be built between 104 and 105 Streets north of 102 Avenue, as the LRT tracks are cutting off the alley entrance there. The sub-station is still planned for 107 Street south of 104 Avenue afaik.

I believe it's being demolished due to the alley turnaround that will be built between 104 and 105 Streets north of 102 Avenue, as the LRT tracks are cutting off the alley entrance there. The sub-station is still planned for 107 Street south of 104 Avenue afaik.
Weird, why would you take down a building just for an alley turn-around? That sounds really dumb.

Edit: Page 39 shows the alley turnaround. Also looks like there will be one at Alex Decoteau as well (taking a bit of the park). But what happens with the rest of the building's area at 105 st?

Last edited:

Back