University Heights | 23m | 6s | Westrich Pacific | EFG Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Jun 24, 2020
Status In Progress
Description of Development To construct a Multi-unit Housing building (6 storeys) with 195 Dwellings and an underground parkade.
Address 11450 - 80 AVENUE NW

Apparently this encompasses a larger property than I originally thought:

View attachment 255077
I have to say whoever is doing the property consolidation for Westrich has done an excellent job this would often take years and they seem to be able to do it in short order.

Actually...

gooch.png

A Gooch special, unfortunately.

It looks like either a cheap stucco condo turned on its side, or two commie blocks side by side. Seriously, no matter how much articulation you try and put in that thing, it is wayyyy too long. I know its a simple elevation drawing, but its hard to imagine this looking good.

Description: To construct a 2 level underground parkade/foundation (Phase 1) for a future residential apartment building (Phase 2)- "University Avenue Apartments"
Permit date: August 24, 2020
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (01) New
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Parkade (490)
Address: 11450 - 80 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: MCKERNAN
Zoning: RA8, RA8, RA8, RA8
Value: $7,330,050.00

Thought I'd share a pic of the (very large, surprisingly deep) hole being dug for this project that i took earlier today. Striking to me was how this seems to take up the whole site, and the parkade pit seems to deep, not multi-story, but deeper than a normal 7' parkade floor. Although I can't find a full set of elevations or plans, but i always thought this would be more of a slab or linear building rather than a block. that being said, I guess for the 195 units listed on the DP sign on the fence (33 units per floor), they'd need a big footprint. IDK. it's odd to see something so massive being built almost under the radar. and without any commercial units.
IMG_8931.JPG

This is hearsay, but a friend mentioned they may be overbuilding parking in order to lease out stalls to the public.
LOVELY. this is lovely. great. wonderful. a public parkade only accessible via a residential street and really slow light, along a corridor (university Ave.) that is supposed to transition to a more pedestrian-friendly, perhaps care-free, setup in the future. I know it's heresay, not to be read into too much. But I'd feel really bad for the neighbours if that was the case.

That picture of the deep hole, doesn't even begin to tell the whole story on this place. I'm a community volunteer that prowls the city every summer talking to neighbours and reporting bad infills. This place has been a real gem I tell ya, and I've had to report it multiple times for numerous infractions. Their demo was a joke and a downright hazard. Though I'd spoken at length with the lead contractor (SAT) over the previous month; almost nothing I reminded them about had been done. The safety fencing was only up in a few spots; with nothing protecting the existing residential home on the east, that isn't part of their site. No windows were removed prior to demo; and trucks of water only appeared (as if by magic when they saw my truck) to keep the harmful dust and debris down, now and then. The beautiful boulevard trees and grass were unhoarded; and it took me 3 complaints to get those up. And frankly, the excavator operator, was an obnoxious jack-a**; who left his machine and came out to the public road where I sat, to hurl threats and abuse at me. Completely inept too, as my video shows; he was so clumsy and unskilled he almost toppled the second last demo right over on to the unprotected neighbour's house beside it. Complete madhouse.

Back