Tower 101 | 175m | 50s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
We need great urban spaces that are active, vibrant and well supported. RHW needs to be updated and done in a way that permits temporary closures (fri/sat nights) akin to Stephen Avenue, but we simply do not have the density of people there at enough times of the day to warrant or support it.

Update it, make it more flexible in use, retain the parkade and fill those CRUs.

You do realize this area is busier outside of Friday and Saturday nights, right? This could be THE place to go for the working crowd for day time coffees, lunches etc... active, vibrant and well supported. 40 parked cars does nothing for the area.

You do realize this area is busier outside of Friday and Saturday nights, right? This could be THE place to go for the working crowd for day time coffees, lunches etc... active, vibrant and well supported. 40 parked cars does nothing for the area.
As someone who has spent literally hundreds of hours having morning coffees, lunches, apres-works there it can be one of the best spots and has improved of late with many positive additions, but I simply do not see the need or want to make it pedestrian only.

As someone who has spent literally hundreds of hours having morning coffees, lunches, apres-works there it can be one of the best spots and has improved of late with many positive additions, but I simply do not see the need or want to make it pedestrian only.
because those 40 parked cars bring so much vibrancy that made you enjoy your morning coffee more? I mean, maybe I'm missing something. What is it about those 40 parked cars that makes you feel that you are in an active, vibrant space when you are sipping your coffee? We can and should of course keep access to the parkades, but I can't think of any good arguments to keep those 40 street parking spots. Literally anything else would create more vibrancy.

Actually they do. Many, many people do not want to go into a parkade and so I cannot emphasize enough the importance of convenient loading, short-term and 2hr on-street parking there.

I lead the lobby to convert the stalls from infinity to 2hour max to permit higher turnover and more convenience for more people.

The businesses there find significant value in having them and a lot of visitors the same.

Actually they do. Many, many people do not want to go into a parkade and so I cannot emphasize enough the importance of convenient loading, short-term and 2hr on-street parking there.

I lead the lobby to convert the stalls from infinity to 2hour max to permit higher turnover and more convenience for more people.

The businesses there find significant value in having them and a lot of visitors the same.
I appreciate that aspect of it (my wife used to own a business on RHW) but overall the fear is more imagined than real. The vast majority of my wife's patrons came on foot or lived or worked nearby. As a population we still have car centric minds and even the idea of removing 40 surface parking spots creates panic. We have thousands up thousands of parking spots in the vicinity and a brand new streetcar line opening up right by RHW. We can do this and businesses will not only survive but thrive as RHW will become a true destination for pedestrians.

I don't disagree and as a pedestrian first and foremost love environments where we are prioritized and welcomed, but it's rather calm traffic in terms of impact and the 'plan' is to revise the parking orientation to improve sidewalk widths, views and improve the balance/tip the scales to a more walkable street. In my opinion this is a very good balance and still permits temporary closures for events or celebrations.

I don't disagree and as a pedestrian first and foremost love environments where we are prioritized and welcomed, but it's rather calm traffic in terms of impact and the 'plan' is to revise the parking orientation to improve sidewalk widths, views and improve the balance/tip the scales to a more walkable street. In my opinion this is a very good balance and still permits temporary closures for events or celebrations.
It would be a step in the right direction but it's a shame that we, as a city, don't have the courage to go all the way and commit just one space (just one!) purely to pedestrians. So they're going to spend money on a half measure now and a decade from now we'll have spend more money to do what we should have done to begin with.

It would be a step in the right direction but it's a shame that we, as a city, don't have the courage to go all the way and commit just one space (just one!) purely to pedestrians. So they're going to spend money on a half measure now and a decade from now we'll have spend more money to do what we should have done to begin with.
You struck fold here, my friend!
Edmonton needs to stop being afraid of doing bold things! A lot of the times the arguments are those of fear, based on experiences done decades ago, like the 70s. It's either that or a firm (unfunded) conviction that demand always needs to induce supply, never the other way around.
This goes for having at least ONE pedestrian only street in our Downtown, or having one way streets, bike lanes in main corridors, instead of hidden in parallel, unused streets...

Downtown Orlando does a this on the weekends. The city blocks Orange Ave and Church Street for pedestrian use only with police presence.. Bustling with people going to different clubs/bars and restaurants. I'd like to see that happen here even if it's for just the weekends. Need more entertainment though. Set up a stage with music some food trucks . One big street party .With the Valley Line near completion and existing LRT lines, it'd be easy to get people there.

That happens on 104st through Al Fresco right now.

We can only have so many spots given demand.

Multiple nodes are important and help provide a selection of options, but during a normal summer we often have Churchill programmed and full of reasons to head there.

There are multiple CRUs in there that are underused...
They never will be and it is all about the form and parking congestion. The best thing that could happened is its blown up and something built like residential with retain right there.

Multiple nodes are important and help provide a selection of options, but during a normal summer we often have Churchill programmed and full of reasons to head there.
Not everyone wants a "square" or large space. I prefer active streets like you find in Amsterdam, Paris. Churchill Square will NEVER be a meeting place to hang out - there is bugger all there. If it was ringed with small little cafes year round with seating at each and solar heaters and all different and interesting ... sure it would be fun and busy. As is its very limited and it is event space only and rife with problems that demand police monitor it at great cost 24/7.

Back