City Planning is in NON SUPPORT of this application because it:
● proposes an incompatible use (unwrapped above grade parking) next to:
● two high profile public parks,
● a future LRT Station, and
● existing protected bike lanes;
● represents an inconsistent application of standards/regulations compared to other developments of this density; and
● results in negative design outcomes due to significant density increase.
While it is recognized that the site is well suited to accommodate increased development, the proposed increase in height and density result in problematic design outcomes including deficient transitions to adjacent properties and the public realm. These are not, in themselves, sufficient reason to non-support this application. It is due to the site’s location next to large public investments in quality urban design including:
● a LRT line and stop;
● the 102 Avenue and 106 Street protected bike lanes;
● Alex Decoteau Park; and
● the future Central Park between 106 Street NW and 108 Street NW.
that the proposed above grade non-wrapped vehicular parking, combined with the deficiencies of the proposed building, represent a departure of consistently applied design standards and use regulations that would otherwise facilitate the goals of creating a vibrant well designed Downtown.
It is recognised that the application increases residential density on an underutilized site. In doing so it would support Downtown businesses by introducing additional residents to the neighbourhood and further provides increased housing diversity in the Downtown by including 34 family oriented dwellings.