The Mercury Block | 21.7m | 6s

Do NOT touch Destination Doughnuts under any circumstances!!

That's a prime lot and big enough for something that could bring in far more revenue to the owner of the land. I would be surprised if that lot stayed as it is for too long.

That's a prime lot and big enough for something that could bring in far more revenue to the owner of the land. I would be surprised if that lot stayed as it is for too long.
That lot has a Veterinarian Clinic and a Medical Clinic, both of which likely bring quite some revenue, on top of the CrossFit gym and Destination Doughnuts.

I doubt it will be touched anytime soon.

Topped off.

Would be great to see a handful of 4-12 story projects north of stony on 124st. The sense of “wall” still has too many holes or very small single story buildings that aren’t “heritage” or interesting. Replacing those with some quality mid rises would do wonders for the vibrancy of 124, brewery district, & west Oliver.
I agree, that area is primed for redevelopment all the way up to 118th ave. My only disagreement is that I wouldn't stop at 12 stories. With the right high-density development, 124th could be Jasper Ave-esque (Skyscraper wise). They are connected, so why not extend skyscraper development?

9CFD6FC0-3A1C-4E65-B201-B16DD25DBF06_1_201_a.jpeg

I think this project will serve as a template for other development nearby. High quality mid-rise rental in a good location is pretty attractive for almost everyone involved.

The city likes it - with little public or internal pushback, they will approve these kind of rezonings/variances quickly.
The neighbourhood likes it - adds to the retail offering without the disruption of a big new tower
The developer likes it - way shorter timeline than a tower, and much less of a process to get it approved and out of the ground. They'll be able to lease up & stabilize this in no time.
The future owner likes it - this will be a very attractive offering if/when edgar decides to sell. It's just big enough for the larger players to be interested in, but small enough that non-institutional money will have interest too.

I would not be surprised to see similar developments pop up nearby after this one is complete.

I agree, that area is primed for redevelopment all the way up to 118th ave. My only disagreement is that I wouldn't stop at 12 stories. With the right high-density development, 124th could be Jasper Ave-esque (Skyscraper wise). They are connected, so why not extend skyscraper development?

View attachment 463179
Totally wouldn’t mind more Maclerans. Although I’d take 3 smaller ones over 1 big one too. A consistent “wall” would be nice.

Back