The Mercury Block | 21.7m | 6s

The rezoning for this project is going to Council on Aug 31. Administration is supporting. Interestingly they are requesting a standard CB3 zone for this, which allows for way more height than the building actually being proposed.

Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 402632186-002
Description:The construct and operate a a mixed-Use building with Commercial Uses on the ground level with two (2) Specialty Food Services (Public Space of 64.4 m2 and 64.4 m2) and four (4) Restaurants (89.6 m2 of Public Space and 86.8 m2 of Public Space and 55.3 m2 of Public Space and 125.3 m2 of Public Space), and four (4) General Retail Stores; with 6 Storeys of Multi-unit Housing (158 Dwelling units); and three levels of underground parkade with 190 vehicular parking stalls consisting of 62 vehicular parking stalls as Vehicle Parking Use and 128 Accessory vehicular parking stalls for Multi-unit Housing Use; and a rooftop patio; and to construct an internal courtyard public space framed by Commercial tenant bays with connectivity to both 102 Avenue and 123 Street; and to construct exterior alterations to the Site.
Plan RN22 Blk 20 Lots 11-14
Applicant:HODGSON SCHILF EVANS ARCHITECTS
Create Date:2021/07/15
Neighbourhood:OLIVER

Not sure I would - there is not enough retail in close proximity .... you need to walk to Unity Strip Mall, drive or ride share. And the entire CORE including up to 124th has yet to have a circular bus route or tram down Jasper from the Quarters up 124th up to 104th and East to the Quarters and back up to Jasper and around and around in both directions.

There are multiple grocery options within a couple of blocks including a farmers market, easy access to DT via bus, bike or a nice walk and a very good selection of convenience, coffee, food/bev options nearby. Pair that with proximity Paul Kane and it makes it quite desirable.

Last edited:
Not sure I would - there is not enough retail in close proximity .... you need to walk to Unity Strip Mall, drive or ride share. And the entire CORE including up to 124th has yet to have a circular bus route or tram down Jasper from the Quarters up 124th up to 104th and East to the Quarters and back up to Jasper and around and around in both directions.
I live maybe two blocks away from this (I think a bit less). From this site you can do basically anything on foot and can get to anywhere by transit very easily:

In up to 4 blocks (less than 15 minutes):
Loblaws City Market, Winners, DSW, Cobs Bread, TD, Rogers, Tommy Gun, Shoppers, Supplement King, There's also a Bridal shop, a couple of furniture shops, a lighting shop, a couple of shoe stores,
Safeway on the old Planet Organic (opening this fall), at least 3 cannabis stores, 4 liquor stores,
CWB, H&R Block, Brio and at least 2 convenience stores (one in Jasper and one in the 124 St),
Some clothing stores, on 124 St and 102 Ave.
That's for retail, not mentioning restaurants, cafes, etc... And there's more retail coming, as well, with the Oliver Exchange expansion and all.

For services, you have DynaLIFE, two dental clinics, two medical clinics, as least two veterinarian clinics, two pharmacies, two gas stations, AHS/Telus Healthlink, three daycares.

Not to mention that you'll be about 2 blocks from VLW LRT on 124 St and a little over 4 from the Brewery stop, you have busses that go to WEM and the whole west side stopping essentially at your front door, and busses to the core one block away, either on Jasper or 124 Street. And you're right on the bike corridor that will take you to the core, if you want, too.

And I didn't even go into all of the restaurants, cafes, bars, breweries... Or didn't go one block further, and it would've added A LOT of stuff.

There aren't many areas in Edmonton that are this walkable and packed with retail and services this close, or more accessible by transit. Except maybe for some places in Garneau/Old Strathcona and, of course, the Downtown core.
I would DEFINITELY buy here.

A tram starting at 118 avenue and 95 street down to Jasper all the way to 121 street along the existing r/w then North all the way to Blatchford. Lots of room for an OMF on the west side of the old airport lands. The area along the 121 street r/w North of Manchester square is aching for redevelopment with MS being the catalyst. With trams that can run a considerable distance on batteries there would be no need to have poles or wires down Jasper.

A few of us were working on a proposal for ETS to do a looping hop on hop off (reg ETS fares or an option for a $5 or 7 all day) that would have done:

Jasper - 109st - Whyte - 99st - Jasper

It would have been two mini-buses with special livery to help identify it and with 15mins frequency.

A few of us were working on a proposal for ETS to do a looping hop on hop off (reg ETS fares or an option for a $5 or 7 all day) that would have done:

Jasper - 109st - Whyte - 99st - Jasper

It would have been two mini-buses with special livery to help identify it and with 15mins frequency.
What happened with it?

I live maybe two blocks away from this (I think a bit less). From this site you can do basically anything on foot and can get to anywhere by transit very easily:

In up to 4 blocks (less than 15 minutes):
Loblaws City Market, Winners, DSW, Cobs Bread, TD, Rogers, Tommy Gun, Shoppers, Supplement King, There's also a Bridal shop, a couple of furniture shops, a lighting shop, a couple of shoe stores,
Safeway on the old Planet Organic (opening this fall), at least 3 cannabis stores, 4 liquor stores,
CWB, H&R Block, Brio and at least 2 convenience stores (one in Jasper and one in the 124 St),
Some clothing stores, on 124 St and 102 Ave.
That's for retail, not mentioning restaurants, cafes, etc... And there's more retail coming, as well, with the Oliver Exchange expansion and all.

For services, you have DynaLIFE, two dental clinics, two medical clinics, as least two veterinarian clinics, two pharmacies, two gas stations, AHS/Telus Healthlink, three daycares.

Not to mention that you'll be about 2 blocks from VLW LRT on 124 St and a little over 4 from the Brewery stop, you have busses that go to WEM and the whole west side stopping essentially at your front door, and busses to the core one block away, either on Jasper or 124 Street. And you're right on the bike corridor that will take you to the core, if you want, too.

And I didn't even go into all of the restaurants, cafes, bars, breweries... Or didn't go one block further, and it would've added A LOT of stuff.

There aren't many areas in Edmonton that are this walkable and packed with retail and services this close, or more accessible by transit. Except maybe for some places in Garneau/Old Strathcona and, of course, the Downtown core.
I would DEFINITELY buy here.
Bingo!

I live not too far away. I walk/scooter around waaay more than I drive. Best thing ever.

Back