The Jameson | 53.95m | 17s | Open Sky | Acton Ostry

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As part of the Strathcona Neighbourhood Renewal there were plans to turn sections of 98 St into linear parks and close them to traffic. Part of the idea was to reduce people shortcutting through the neighbourhood.

Apparently there was significant pushback. Not sure all the details, but there were the usual “concerns” about emergency vehicle access.

Now there are two sections reduced to a single lane of vehicle traffic and some added benches, trees etc. Definite improvement from before, but not as nice as if they took the full step and closed the section to traffic.

Let’s hope this goes through in Wîhkwêntôwin!

(Also let’s hope something moves ahead on the Jameson site. I biked by the hole recently and it made me sad. ☹️)

Closing 121 to vehicle traffic would be great for The Jameson, but the owners of the site directly north (Neararctic?) would probably be a lot less enthused as it becomes accessible by rear alley only

And yeah Clearshades not sure if you're mistaking Paul Kane park for somewhere else but there are a lot of days where it's freaking packed. Bet it's one of the most utilized neighbourhood parks in the whole core.

Haha I was just scrolling down wondering when IanO would pipe in to defend cars... and here it is.

I love this proposal and I don't see any real reason not to shut it down for cars. It's not an important north/south connector, come on. There is so little traffic on this street because basically all you can do is connect from Jasper to 104 Ave which you can do one block west or one block east (and virtually every other block).

Let's get this done. Ian can get that vibrancy feeling from his precious traffic elsewhere ;-)
I used 121 all the time to get from jasper to 104ave.

it was always busy.

Closing 121 to vehicle traffic would be great for The Jameson, but the owners of the site directly north (Neararctic?) would probably be a lot less enthused as it becomes accessible by rear alley only
I'm sure the city would be willing to have discussions about activating a back alley like is somewhat planned for the Jameson already.

Whoever owns the land, I haven't seen them building anything, but they're welcome to come up with architectural solutions to what certain people see as a problem. Ultimately many buildings have accessible entrances on the front and rear. The Hendrix comes to mind as a building that could completely lose its front vehicle access without any consequences because of good design.

Pre LRT. You won't be able to turn left onto 104th ave anymore with VLW construction. That intersection is being closed permanently.

Patterns have changed, and will change further after construction.
Really
1719599721315.png

Back