The Edward | 40m | 13s | ANU Developments | Gardner Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Thought this one was dead, but apparently not:

Reference ID: Job No 359680368-002
Description: To add 13 Dwellings to an approved Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building with a total of 161 Dwellings, and to construct exterior alterations (revise site layout) (The Edward).
Plan 1923203 Blk 8 Lot 27
Applicant: GARDNER ARCHITECTURE INCORPORATED
Create Date: 4/9/2020 7:43:47 PM
Neighbourhood: WESTMOUNT

So is it standard business practice to add more units after a rezoning has been approved? I'm sure there's probably a good reason for it, but it seems like this happens fairly often. Is this a strategy of some sort?

It's called the "squeeze the tomato effect" in rezoning applications and no-one has addressed this legally anywhere that I am aware of. The initial application gets the governing entity focused on height and volume (FAR) aspects of the rezone and then the developer, post-approval, goes for additional units by re-configuring floors or parts of floors to increase occupancy. It is quite common.

I walked by this site just a little while ago, there's been a pile-driver-like machine with a large auger on it parked there for a few days now, and survey stakes, some rebar, and a long (~60') bar with cables attached (soil testing maybe) have appeared now too. Looks like a hole may start to appear soon!

Attachments

• IMG_8098.JPG
    IMG_8098.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 262
I walked by this site just a little while ago, there's been a pile-driver-like machine with a large auger on it parked there for a few days now, and survey stakes, some rebar, and a long (~60') bar with cables attached (soil testing maybe) have appeared now too. Looks like a hole may start to appear soon!
IMG_8098.JPG here's the pic i tried to attach the first time. suuuuper curious as to what the long rod with cables is for.

Back