The Clifton | 55m | 15s

you can make it artistically interesting, depending on how you work it
Very simply too. Break the wall up with the dark outstanding vertical elements lit up on the backside by LEDs. As it stands that wall is far too monolithic (albeit looks to be made from a beautiful stone).

I also think it looks good assuming the stone will be as textured as the renders make it out to be.

With the energy requirements constantly changing in the building code, if you are going to have windows on basically the entire side of the building facing the river valley, don't you need to have a large portion of that back side of the building "enclosed"? I am not the expert, but I was under the impression that it will become harder and harder to do new towers with mostly glazing as the code gets closer to net zero.
Correct. The more glazing, the more you need to spend elsewhere to pass the code - which means more $$$.

Very simply too. Break the wall up with the dark outstanding vertical elements lit up on the backside by LEDs. As it stands that wall is far too monolithic (albeit looks to be made from a beautiful stone).
I am going to say (as I've stated on this forum before) that this 'blank wall' will be very well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to say (as I've stated on this forum before) that this 'blank wall' will be very well done.
Most people won't know what well done really means though, nor will they care. There are a multitude of expensive materials they can use to make the wall more expensive and marketable to their respective future owners.

Like I said before, this building caters to a certain demographic and the blank wall gives the units privacy. There is a reason affluent communities are gated and the wall on this proposal offers the same.

I find the blank wall to be tasteful, at least in the renders. I find the cold, featureless walkways and access areas to throw off a much more dystopian vibe. Reminds me of scenes in the show Severence, or games like Control.

I agree with that notion, but it is just as easily for a building to have windows and using the good old method of blinds for privacy.

I agree with that notion, but it is just as easily for a building to have windows and using the good old method of blinds for privacy.

shocked-face-dude.gif

Had a presentation at work today by a cladding supplier, Porcelanosa. they have a proprietary porcelain rainscreen system that they were pitching; they specialize in mimicking natural materials, including wood and stone. their panels run from 3.5mm - 12mm, so as you can imagine, not a lot of texture. The sales rep was trying to pitch us on local projects, to prove durability. She specifically mentioned this project, "the Clifton, we're working with a firm out of Calgary on it", as an example of their ability to match stone colour/patterning. obviously their product can't do texture/roughness the way stone can, but she had other examples of custom-matching stone for bespoke projects.
Anyways, i just thought that was fun. It was the supplier talking, so no guarantee if it's actually a done deal or if she was bringing it up for prestige. but yeah. porcelain cladding on that big wall, apparently.

Had a presentation at work today by a cladding supplier, Porcelanosa. they have a proprietary porcelain rainscreen system that they were pitching; they specialize in mimicking natural materials, including wood and stone. their panels run from 3.5mm - 12mm, so as you can imagine, not a lot of texture. The sales rep was trying to pitch us on local projects, to prove durability. She specifically mentioned this project, "the Clifton, we're working with a firm out of Calgary on it", as an example of their ability to match stone colour/patterning. obviously their product can't do texture/roughness the way stone can, but she had other examples of custom-matching stone for bespoke projects.
Anyways, i just thought that was fun. It was the supplier talking, so no guarantee if it's actually a done deal or if she was bringing it up for prestige. but yeah. porcelain cladding on that big wall, apparently.
Porcelain cladding was recently used on The Laurent tower in The Garneau, so perhaps this is becoming a trend here?

OOOOOOOH that's what those panels are! I thought they were some kind of polished cementboard.
Porcelain is a great product; the terracotta on the Ledge dome lasted a century before needing replacement. it's an exciting product if used right. tbh i think this wall is too big for a material so flat and featureless, but we shall see i guess!

I took some shots during a couple different bike rides over the last couple weeks. Here is a sign that was recently put up.
20230608_121232.jpg

I ran into a very nice young lady right after I took this shot who is working on this project and was there to check on this recently installed sign. We chatted for a bit and she said they are hoping to break ground this fall but need to sell a couple more units before they can proceed. "Worst case" would be ground breaking in spring of 2024. As the sign says 20 units. Sounds like 2 units per floor with 1 unit per floor on the top 2 floors. $2.5M ish for the "smaller" units and $4.0 + for the 2 penthouse units. The blank wall will be limestone to mimic the old RAM. Full glass on the side facing Groat. Here's hoping for a September/October ground breaking.

Back