The Baron | 33m | 9s | Wexford Developments

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Yeah, I hear ya. Looking at the current render it would be pretty difficult. It would be nice to see a more detailed render. One unique feature from that old picture is the doorway arch and lighting. I wish those could be incorporated, but yeah a redesign would really have to be done.

Unfortunately with the design as presented I think the style definitely presents itsel as something that might fit better downtown than on whyte ave.

105 street side of "When Pigs Fly", that whole block has some character and I like the mural, but really it's just lipstick on a pig.
2020-09-30 052.JPG

This project is a very bad idea. People who bemoan trying to save "every old, boring building" are completely missing the point. The charm and appeal of Old Strathcona, and particularly this stretch of Whyte Ave judged on the whole, not one particular building. If we continue to chip away at a key component of this area, we'll also start chipping away at a key component of Edmonton's culture.

I hope they could build something like this on a corner where it doesn't remove a historic building!

105 street side of "When Pigs Fly", that whole block has some character and I like the mural, but really it's just lipstick on a pig.
View attachment 273660
You could look at it from that point of view, but this whole district was meant as preservation of the warehouse and antiquated structures; that was what made the area what it is today. The murals add to the small quaintness of this area's historical past. You need to judge it from that perspective. I started frequenting that street since the mid 80s... it fits and reminds me of how it use to be.

This project is a very bad idea. People who bemoan trying to save "every old, boring building" are completely missing the point. The charm and appeal of Old Strathcona, and particularly this stretch of Whyte Ave judged on the whole, not one particular building. If we continue to chip away at a key component of this area, we'll also start chipping away at a key component of Edmonton's culture.

You could look at it from that point of view, but this whole district was meant as preservation of the warehouse and antiquated structures; that was what made the area what it is today. The murals add to the small quaintness of this area's historical past. You need to judge it from that perspective. I started frequenting that street since the mid 80s... it fits and reminds me of how it use to be.

it’s really interesting too how long strathcona/whyte was able to hold onto that vibe. for a while, it seemed like, while the individual businesses may change and rotate, whyte ave had kind of aged into this quirky/quaint/arty vibe and there wasn’t a lot of big changes to the landscape. things started to change when some east whyte stuff like roots and fuzion got built, but even that seemed to more or less fill in and expand what whyte was already doing.

with the destruction of car dealerships and development of brownfield sites, strathcona is starting to take on a new vibe. perhaps a bit more grown up, more obviously gentrified and yuppie, perhaps also more sterile, but also more urban and dense. whenever i’m by the raymond block it is amazing how different whyte ave feels in that particular area compared to 5 years ago. it‘s definitely more towards ’big city’ vibes.

there’s some good and excitement with this dynamic growth, but also some issues. i think it aligns well with how edmonton has matured and become more urbane over the last decade as well. downtown edmonton in 2007 was very different from what it is today, too.

overall, i will still say that whyte ave is the best high street on the prairies in terms of vibrancy, amenities, and feel. obviously the best in edmonton, but also better than 17th or kensington or 9th/inglewood in calgary, broadway (nutana) in saskatoon, osborne or portage or corydon in winnipeg, etc. though these cities have some better overall neighbourhoods, i’d argue, as strathcona is very whyte ave-centric.

Last edited:
C.2. The Baron (Rezoning / Formal)
Sylvia Summers - Stantec

Motion of non-support
The Committee strongly feels that the scale and character of the proposed
development does not fit the site or its Whyte Avenue context. The Committee feels
the proposed scale and character of the development will erode the essence and
character of the Old Strathcona Provincial Historic Area and is inconsistent with
PlanWhyte, which acknowledges that “ As one of Edmonton’s oldest communities,
the built heritage of Old Strathcona is one of its greatest assets”. A more sensitive
built form with reduced height and stepbacks may be more appropriate to the
circumstances of this site, and should be explored.

CARRIED

I can see where they are coming from, and although I do like the way this building would've looked, it is in the end taking out another historical structure and it should be revised to fit the context of the area better. some brick, anyone? 🧱

I disagree on that. If the balcony glass partision were applied in color in two tones of chosen choices of the same color and applied that in a checker board game pattern, it would look relatively decent to good. The other option is to apply two tones again to the reconfigured exterior areas of the balcony (resembing an actual picture frame) in the same checker board...Ultimately, a reskinning would be the best ideal choice imo.

Back