Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Well Councillor Stevenson does not look great for suggesting this. Both Stephanie McCabe and Andre Corbuld said it would create investment uncertainty and McCabe continually talked about the positives of the project.

Paquette said: I feel like I am in my first term again, why are we talking about this again? Sohi said: this was not an election issue, why are we talking about this.

Good points by Sohi and Paquette I thought.

We'll see what shakes up after lunch.

I do think they would be crazy to say "no thanks" to an 840 million private investment... and even the money spent on the City's side would come from the tax uplift and not existing dollars..so it is pretty low risk.

Hope this get confirmed as approved and we can put to bed this divisive debate...

I do think they would be crazy to say "no thanks" to an 840 million private investment... and even the money spent on the City's side would come from the tax uplift and not existing dollars..so it is pretty low risk.
Plus, we desparately need more residential units downtown. There's no single cause or solution for what's going on, but having a lot of people downtown outside of the business day 9-5 range is a major factor for sure. It would ill-behoove us to discourage this project by ripping up a previous agreement.

A great admin does not always make a great mayor.

Stephanie is fantastic though.
Surprised myself and have very much enjoyed the process of Council talking to and getting answers from administration.

With Stephanie McCabe specifically she appears very professional and enjoyed her taking exception with Councilor Janz accusing administration of being biased in wanting to move this project forward.

I'd be interested to know the official voting on this Stationlands pedway.
Station Lands.png

I think Paquette's vote is a mistake here, because he spoke in strong favour of the pedway; stating that even if it did not bring a return on investment, it would still provide better access to China Town, - which suffers from underinvestment by the city - improve equity for people with mobility challenges, improve access on very hot/cold days, facilitate expansion of the district energy centre (since the pipes are installed in pedways to save on costs), etc. There's no way he'd say all that just to vote in favour of the motion.

So we’re clear: the “Motion to Defeat the scrapping of the Pedway” has been defeated? So that means what exactly? Lol

Don’t do what Johnny is not supposed to not be doing.

Paquette voted incorrectly. 3-10 vote.
Thanks Gronk, here's the updated tally.
Station Lands1.png

So we’re clear: the “Motion to Defeat the scrapping of the Pedway” has been defeated? So that means what exactly? Lol
I'd assume it just maintains the status quo from before this motion was introduced.

Rutherford and Salvador, although voting against the motion, were sympathetic to it. Salvador noted the idea of this pedway goes against what she would typically support in terms of creating vibrancy and street safety but weighed with other factors such as boosting downtown density and council's previous commitment, she supported the project and therefore voted against the motion.

I think Janz was probably most 'passionate' against the city funding this pedway, even more than Stevenson.

Back