Stantec Tower | 250.84m | 66s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I fully understand your situation, and my statement is not a black or white solution. That said, the idea definitely require proper rumination and study for a win win outcome. 102 ave did this long ago without issues. Pertaining to the arena, that too can be accommodated. Dear goodness, if you go to China and visit populated cities that had to be re-transformed, you'll understand my point; it would make this dilemma look non existent

102 ave doesn't have as many parkades feeding directly onto it, and the planning for the LRT to run on 102 ave started in 2009. Long before a the boom of residential towers in the core. Looking at google street view 102 ave had the same size side walks back in 2007, so they were that size prior to even the Icon's construction starting. Only subtraction was the addition of the bike lane, which was probably plan in conjunction with adding the LRT. Adding mass transit like an LRT to the core, when under ground wasn't an option 102 ave was a logic choice to sacrifice.

Not so much that they exit onto it, but that they exit onto a side street such as Manulife, Commerce, YMCA, and oneway south is not particularly great at peak.

How would that affect 103ave.?

How many parkade exit traverse onto 103 ave in the direct juncture of what KreationYeg's area? CC mall and the one next to CC mall kitty corner to Stantec are what I can think of.

Not so much that they exit onto it, but that they exit onto a side street such as Manulife, Commerce, YMCA, and oneway south is not particularly great at peak.
Yes, left turns are harder when the street is busy or congested. However its not just the issue of the number of parkades on this or the other street.

I realize the LRT had to go somewhere, so 102 Ave was chosen, which is fine, but that then puts more pressure on the adjacent streets of which 103 Ave is one.

^
Coun Knack has been leading initiative for city to integrate Dutch style inductive loops where traffic presence is detected to help improve flow for cars/bikes.

Somewhat related to no left turns, Montreal and New York are the only North American cities allowing no right turns on red. But several major US cities as well as Toronto are considering getting on board with that to reduce pedestrian injuries and fatalities.

^
Coun Knack has been leading initiative for city to integrate Dutch style inductive loops where traffic presence is detected to help improve flow for cars/bikes.

I really hope they dial in the bike lane induction loops better though. I get really inconsistent results with my radrunner e-bike, probably because it's so much larger than a normal bike, I only properly trigger about half of the loops.
I end up having to go up on the sidewalk to hit the button half the time. It does make me long a little for the bike crossing buttons you'd see in Vancouver, where they have a second button on the street for bikes.

Walking down jasper ave. takes twice as long as it needs to because of the lights. I swear I get stopped at every intersection.
Not just Jasper but 102 and 103 as well. I remember walking from the Old Stantec offices to the tower for my inspections and no mater how I walked or how fast I would always get stopped by a few lights. I was able to run and make them once.

Walking down jasper ave. takes twice as long as it needs to because of the lights. I swear I get stopped at every intersection.
I have the same problem and it has been a problem for years and years. If the city really wants to make downtown pedestrian friendly, this would be a good place to start.

Back