Stantec Tower | 250.84m | 66s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
The wide road is there for historical reasons, but having all the parkades (even more since the addition of Stantec and the Marriott) and now traffic for events at Rogers it probably makes sense to mostly keep it as is.

With the loss of much of 102 Ave to the LRT line, this street will also have to absorb more traffic now and in the future. So this sure wouldn't be the first street I would recommend to cut back.

But if the goal of creating congestion is to create frustration and backlash, it seems to be succeeding.

Westrich is building two more towers and what ever happens with the Wexford site. And the added track of 102ave being the lrt it will be a bottle neck.

There’s three just purpose built parkades in that stretch pavilion, hsbc, and the CC west what’s inviting about that? .
I said wider sidewalks and trees. We already have the LRT and bike lanes on 102, but it does not mean 103 st needs to be a barren wasteland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think getting trees planted along all of 103ave from 102st to 109st should be a priority. Such a barren street. Get the trees going while there’s still so many short buildings.
Tricky on the north side due to widths and lack of soil cells.... but something that should be looked at.

I know many Stantec employees are working from home at least part of the week, but I wonder how much the company is growing in terms of staff. They are certainly acquiring other companies but that doesn't translate into more workers here. One thing for sure, Stantec stock is 🔥. It's up 36% in the last year.

^'they' are not, but the Tower is doing well. Stantec put 4 (?) floors of sublease onto the market.
Stantec had occupied up to 16 but had up to 19 available. I believe they have let up to half now. I know 14 and 15 are subleased. 14-15 was the only floor to have a stair built between the 2. then later one of the law firms added a stair up at 20. Be interesting to see how Morison Hirschfeld is integrated.

I know many Stantec employees are working from home at least part of the week, but I wonder how much the company is growing in terms of staff. They are certainly acquiring other companies but that doesn't translate into more workers here. One thing for sure, Stantec stock is 🔥. It's up 36% in the last year.
Jesus. How did I miss that?

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 10.51.25 AM.png

Road diet = pretty much would not be able to get out of my parkade at times due to congestion of only two lanes… One lane each direction is not enough for a road that has seven parkades that feed out to it all within a few blocks.

When the ID was built I’d bet the city approved the density based on 103ave having four lanes.

I remember the temporary construction lane restrictions for the utility work on 103rd ave making it hard to get around, and that was prior to the Stantec being occupied and the connect centre parkade being open.

I can't recall how wide that road is. Is there also some parking along there + 4 lanes or any turning lanes? From memory, it just seems fairly wide to cross. There is no room to expand the northside pedestrian realm and add trees along there and still maintain 4 lanes?

The approved DC2 for Horne and Pitfield has an expanded sidewalk along 103 Avenue taking up the parking spaces for trees and street furniture.

In some places from 102 to 109 Street, 103 Avenue is 7 lanes wide with parking. That's insane. There's definitely room for expanded sidewalks with trees, which in my mind was a huge missed opportunity when they did microsurfacing of the road last year. Not asking for a full new streetscape, just wider sidewalks with some trees. All you have to do is take out the left turning lane.

The approved DC2 for Horne and Pitfield has an expanded sidewalk along 103 Avenue taking up the parking spaces for trees and street furniture.

In some places from 102 to 109 Street, 103 Avenue is 7 lanes wide with parking. That's insane. There's definitely room for expanded sidewalks with trees, which in my mind was a huge missed opportunity when they did microsurfacing of the road last year. Not asking for a full new streetscape, just wider sidewalks with some trees. All you have to do is take out the left turning lane.

There's really only 4 is lanes and parking, but the parking spills over to the outside lanes with bigger vehicles which happens often. What turning lane? Its pretty much converted parking, you can't count it as an extra lane. The road doesn't get any wider, and often times there's really only a vehicle length or so left to the intersection due to parked vehicles to get into said turning lane. And removing lanes with out removing parking will still result in problem's for people that live on 103ave.

Like I said if the shoe was on the other foot for some of you the story would be a lot different. It's really easy to push for something when it doesn't effect you.

Horne and Pitfield was sold to Westrich, yet to see any info on their plans for the site other than ~40ish stories.

There’s a good chance to be 2 maybe three towers built at the intersection of 103ave and 104st in the next 7-10 years. I don’t doubt Westrich will build something, jury’s out on the Wexford site. Adding even more density to probably the densit residential couple blocks in the city.

And like I and others have said with the LRT running down 102nd odds are that will increase traffic on 103rd ave.

What 103rd ave really needs is street front retail or anything other than parkades. The road size suits its needs for the density when required. Just the stucco facades (except for HSBC) of the parkades and the empty lot. All there really is for street interaction is a dilapidated hotel/dive bar, crystal glass, and a couple of one story converted old warehouses to offices. That’s all there is south of the ID, some trees will just be lipstick on the farmers ugliest pig. There is already tree's along 103ave in front of the CC west parkade and accouple by the HSBC parkade, and last summer there was a planter with a tree Infront crash hotel at the corner of 103ave and 103st, in the past there has been flower beds put out as well. Don't think there was last summer due to the paving, and any existing side walk beautification has been restricted by the utilities construction for ID and the LRT. The road and side walks were tore up continuously until recently. most of the your problems are not with the road size it’s more what’s along it.

But then there’s also the problem of the amount of already empty CRUs in the core. Trying to have your cake and eat it too is hard.

Last edited:
I do agree it is a bit barren and adding some trees and other things would help some. However, the 7 or so parkades and big events at Rogers are not going to disappear, so I don't think constricting the road much is a good idea.

I also feel we need to be smarter so we should focus the spending on such streetscape improvements on the streets downtown that have retail or more potential for that. There is not an unlimited amount of money to throw around willy nilly.

If we require larger sidewalks, ban street parking, establish 3 lanes with one dedicated to morning and evening rush hours going both ways using traffic lights to indicate when you are allowed double lanes like we have in the past.

If we require larger sidewalks, ban street parking, establish 3 lanes with one dedicated to morning and evening rush hours going both ways using traffic lights to indicate when you are allowed double lanes like we have in the past.

The thing is there really is no set traffic direction based on time, equal traffic going east and west. The only difference is the heavier traffic heading to 109th st after Rogers events. Its one if the most dense if not the most in the city, and will add more towers along it in the next decade, restricting it would be a mistake and I doubt any city planner would give it a second thought with 102ave down to one lane.

Again there's no need to make the road smaller to make it look better the issue is what's along the south side of the road resulting in the barren look.

Living DT for the last 6 years I've never thought a street looked terrible due to the size of its side walks... Its whats on the street that makes the difference. I don't think anyone's ever walked past a crack shack and though you know if this place had wider side walks it would be a great place to hang out...

Last edited:
I fully understand your situation, and my statement is not a black or white solution. That said, the idea definitely require proper rumination and study for a win win outcome. 102 ave did this long ago without issues. Pertaining to the arena, that too can be accommodated. Dear goodness, if you go to China and visit populated cities that had to be re-transformed, you'll understand my point; it would make this dilemma look non existent

Back