Stanley A. Milner Library | ?m | 6s | EPL | Teeple Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
On a sister site, the Milner is stealing the show as the ugliest structure:

i voted for kingston's princess towers in this one but that's only because it's the ugliest of the bunch.

edmonton's central library would have gotten my vote if we were assessing public only vs public and private buildings.

in trying to reconcile that, i would simply say that princess towers is the ugliest but edmonton's central library is the biggest sin.

Edmonton has the dubious distinction of having two nominees on that list, with The Venetian being an honourable mention with a few other posters.

Just to flip this around, but also because I'm curious - what is the consensus, if any, on what is downtown's architectural gem?
Is it the arena? Art gallery? City hall? One of the older restored buildings on the east end of Jasper Ave? Mac hotel?
What is it?
One thing is for sure - with some of our most recent buildings - art gallery, arena and now library, we are getting a lot of grey.

Screenshot_20210623-195554_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-195635_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-195735_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-200142_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-195917_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210623-200959_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-200959_Samsung Internet.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Aside from the already mentioned, I think MacEwan University is a beautiful campus (Although I may be a bit biased because I am a student there ;)). Its spires are unique and distinguishable, plus I really dig the newest additions of Allard Hall and the SAMU building. They add a modern look to the older buildings with a nice splash of colour for Allard in particular. The only thing I don't like is the lack of green space. I do wish we had more of that. I also think the Kelly Ramsey building is stunning, even though the original building was heavily damaged. The new Winspear addition looks to be promising, but we'll have to wait and see about that.

Pretty hard to deny Hotel Mac. Enterprise Square is an underrated beauty as well. Manulife takes my vote for anything more modern.

I am for learning from and fixing our messes. I also think we should have a hall of fame and give credit where it is due.

Back