Stanley A. Milner Library | ?m | 6s | EPL | Teeple Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I think the High Level is pretty iconic actually and the new Walterdale is a favorite in a lot of city pics.
Yes, it is photogenic. Also the bridge and its layout also drawing more people to the area, which is nice. Very busy around there last weekend.

Now, if something could be done with the old power plant ... I realize the delay is the cost, work and sheer size for dealing with it all. I was thinking, how about putting adding something one storey mostly glass on the west side and having a few businesses in there (restaurant, bar, retail ...) and leaving the plant itself mostly as is for now. It would at least get things started for perhaps a much lower cost. Perhaps the revenues from this new space could help contribute to a fund to fix up the old space.

No votes for kelly ramsey/enbridge? That beats the other office towers for me.

Macleran is my newest favourite. The brick and glass feels distinct to us vs a Toronto, Vancouver. Hope we do more like that.

Arena is really well done too. Oliver exchange and samu are sweet. Norquests new building is solid.

IMG_6256.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like they fenced off the sides to prevent people from riding their bikes through. Did they ever consider that possibility beforehand? They should just give up and let them.

^^

well technically those were awarded to epl and not the the building's architecture.

two of those three awards were for programming and the other was for energy efficiency for - hopefully - achieving a leed silver designation (and yes, i appreciate there is some architecture involved with that one but not architectural design per se).

kudos to epl for all three of them but none of them should allow the building to ride on their coat-tails.

I've mentioned this before but I think it's worth repeating again. What if they curved some of the sharp corners and points around the building and darken the exterior panels to a dark grey or black. I think that would improve the look immensely. and wouldn't cost much.?! Add some greenery while they're at it. .geez man..

I've mentioned this before but I think it's worth repeating again. What if they curved some of the sharp corners and points around the building and darken the exterior panels to a dark grey or black. I think that would improve the look immensely. and wouldn't cost much.?! Add some greenery while they're at it. .geez man..
Smoothing the surface would go a long distance towards making it look nicer, along with your ideas. Might I add that they could also do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to cover that technical pavement that looks just like a cheap mech floor of an even cheaper residential building.

Smoothing the surface would go a long distance towards making it look nicer, along with your ideas. Might I add that they could also do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to cover that technical pavement that looks just like a cheap mech floor of an even cheaper residential building.
What technical pavement are you referring to?

Reference ID:Job No 413060117-002
Description:To change the use of a portion of a Public Library to a Specialty Food Service (Second Cup cafe inside Stanley Milner Library) and to construct interior alterations
Plan 4390NY Blk E
Applicant:MCMILLAN DESIGN
Create Date:11/1/2021 2:29:37 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

As controversial as the exterior design is, I must say that the interior is stunningly beautiful. It's disappointing that LRT riders need to enter the library through the parkade, so hopefully the Churchill connector improves the experience.

I was plesantly surprised with how many people were here, because I took these pictures around half an hour to closing. There were still groups of people coming in when I left, including some teenagers and a family with small kids!

20211126_194450.jpg

20211126_194432.jpg20211126_194513.jpg20211126_194606.jpg20211126_194946.jpg20211126_202002.jpg20211126_202010.jpg20211126_202514.jpg20211126_202600.jpg20211126_202725.jpg20211126_202853.jpg20211126_203155.jpg20211126_203638.jpg20211126_204043.jpg20211126_204059.jpg

Back