Stanley A. Milner Library | ?m | 6s | EPL | Teeple Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
My understanding was that it was to have been a large outdoor (connected) playground for the daycare that was accessed off of the children's section, but that was changed for some reason. We knew that it was to have the stage removed to improve connections, sight-lines and shift the potential opportunities of use going forward. The rest was quite vague.

Description: To add a Child Care Services Use (50 children with 10 adults) to the third floor of an existing Public Libraries and Cultural Exhibits building, and adding 7 drop-off stalls on 99 Street. (Reference: Development Permit number 189109947-001). (Stanley A. Milner Library)
Permit date: October 22, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class A
Address: 7 - SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL SQUARE NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: CCA

Front running plaza design:

Milner.png

Thinking a bit outside of the box, here, but I would love to see some of the walls, at least, covered in well-executed graffiti. Would at least give it somewhat of a more urban feel.

I'm still just baffled how it got from the original renders to this.

I know the city ended up changing a few policies to prevent this sort of thing from happening after this, which I'm thankful for, but I still can't even imagine what kind of value-engineering-by-committee conversations took place to end up here.

What I am most disappointed with is the deflection and lack of ownership of the exterior design/VE/winter design choices.

I quite like the interior, the functionality of the spaces and how inviting it is once inside, but that exterior bookending our main public square is simply inexcusable.

What I am most disappointed with is the deflection and lack of ownership of the exterior design/VE/winter design choices.

I quite like the interior, the functionality of the spaces and how inviting it is once inside, but that exterior bookending our main public square is simply inexcusable.

It really is a pity how this turned out. The interior is "nice", but compared to some of the smaller branches the space inside and out is poorly conceptualized. It might be heresy to say this, but after visiting the Milner and Calgary's new central library it is readily apparent the difference in the quality of design and execution. The Milner is not a world-class facility.

Frankly, I still think the redevelopment should have doubled -down on the original modernist design of the library, It had so much character and warmth, especially on the second floor, in comparison to the current space which is cold and looks very much like a suburban shopping mall. As for the exterior, it's a mess of angled and curved lines with cladding that looks like a quonset (even thought it cost substantially more).

Does it need to be 'world-class' or simply well-designed and well executed?

But yes, compared to our award winning small branch bar, this reads poorly.

I will be here all week.

Does everything the City does need to be world-class, maybe not. Should the City aim a bit higher for the central branch of its library system, absolutely.

milner-library-teeple-architects-03.jpg
milner-library-teeple-architects-04.jpg

Does everything the City does need to be world-class, maybe not. Should the City aim a bit higher for the central branch of its library system, absolutely.
Having heard the city use the term "world class" a few times, I think their definition of world class might be different than everyone else's.

Back