Stanley A. Milner Library | ?m | 6s | EPL | Teeple Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
@Platinum107 @archited agree with both of you in that, fundamentally, this will certainly be a very good add to the heart of our city. I fully expect to see an inspired interior realm with services and spaces offered that don't exist anywhere else in our city. As for the exterior form, I do agree that this is a positive outcome given we are talking about a renovation.

Having said that, if the current exterior finishing is in fact the final product, it will really cheapen what's been done here. The current finishing looks like something you'd see in a Leduc fabrication yard and I don't think any of you would dispute me here.

@archited , per your earlier comments I'm starting to be more optimistic that this may not be the final product. You can clearly see a "lip" between what has currently been portrayed as the final siding material. If we see a final application similar to the Disney hall that would really move the dial on this.

From 16th floor EPCOR Tower

P4040852.jpg
P4040853.jpg

I can confirm that the approved building envelope material is 'Azengar Zinc, Standing Seam' for the revamped Milner libary. Search that on Google Images and you will realize that this is the final cladding material. The panels may have been sourced from VM Zinc: https://www.vmzinc.com/surface-aspects/azengar.html.

If this is true, then I suspect the City is in for a torrent of criticism (not that any of the politicos or admin-types will care much -- I imagine that they will be furiously trying to defend the selection). My own personal review for the project will drop from "I like it a lot" to "I neither like nor dislike it". The interior concept still fascinates me, but the form with this finish -- if this is truly it -- is so far from complementing the character of the building that I am sure that a future budget will cover it up. And maybe that is the plan from the Architect's side.

Really really disappointed if this in fact the case. Agree fully @archited

@Nosirrah any idea why there is still such a noticeable "lip" between where what we now believe is the finished siding abuts windows?

See image below:

@Hqcan Not sure, but the plans clearly show a vertically-oriented paneling system, though it is hard to tell if there is that gap around the windows or not. I too was hoping that the gap was to be filled in by a different siding, but that seems unlikely now.

Folks, I decided to just contact the EPL leadership and have a response. Appreciate that they engaged in open dialogue with me, even if we don't necessarily agree.

Please see below:

"...Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your concerns. The cladding system is a product called azengar zinc which creates an exceptional, high-performance building envelope that is an ideal representation of the dynamic spirit of the revitalized library. The white zinc also gives the project a LEED point for not contributing to the heat island effect; the building will be LEED silver.

In working with the Architect we looked at many different exterior finishes, this one was chosen for its modern integration into the downtown core as well as providing the most value to the project. The siding is a luminous white zink that will stand the test of time, it will also take projected colored light very well at night and during the winter. I wonder is it possible you are viewing the galvanized metal underlay over which the azengar is being applied.

Sincerely,

Johnny
JOHNNY NIELSEN
DIRECTOR
Facilities and Operations Division MNP TOWER, 6TH FLOOR, 10235 101 STREET NW
EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA T5J 3G1
T: 780.496.1848 F: 780.496.7097 C: 780.819.1860
johnny.nielsen@epl.ca"

Follow up reply after I highlighted that the vertical slate design make this look almost like an industrial yard application:

"...can appreciate the almost board and batton, industrial, farmhouse style thought the new cladding inspires. To be honest, that’s why I like it, not the typical nor expected finish.

I have no concerns with you sharing my note, and I do appreciate your feedback.

Best,

Johnny

JOHNNY NIELSEN
DIRECTOR
FACILITIES AND OPERATIONS DIVISION
T: 780.496.1848 F: 780.496.7097 C: 780.819.1860
johnny.nielsen@epl.ca
"

Overheard downtown.

'It is not going to age well'.

'It isn't even finished yet. Baby has to be born before it can age...'.

'Woof'.

Hopefully the interior is awesome, and it might be. The comparisons with Calgary's will be chock a block however, and I wonder how that will sour overall impressions.

Back