Stanley A. Milner Library | ?m | 6s | EPL | Teeple Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I'm actually liking the exterior more and more. Looking forward to the finished product. Interior should be very good @darwink Obviously the money shot is the view from Churchill Square, and both side angle profiles are interesting in my opinion. The South elevation just might be understated, but work. It's the Ed thing to do. All together should be a sleeper smash hit reno\addition, but fingers crossed. I will eat the last book I read if this is the final finish. Look at the alignment of the screws attaching the panels, not in a horizontal line at all, as in it will be covered...

EDit, I'll be eating a book. Just realized that first pic of North elevation still has the "industrial" clad yet to be installed. Thus covering the screws. We're screwed.

Last edited:
Hopefully the interior is awesome, and it might be. The comparisons with Calgary's will be chock a block however, and I wonder how that will sour overall impressions.

It's hard to compete with the new Calgary library when your budget is just over a third as much (84.5 million versus 245 million) and you are working with an existing structure.

Photo credit: Leroy Schulz
https://www.epl.ca/blogs/post/peek-into-the-future-of-milner/

I don't want to pile on too too much, but I was thinking how this is sort of a comparable project to the reclad of the McKimmie building at the U of Calgary. Brutalist structures redesigned, though they took completely different approaches:
OG MacKimmie:

Reclad MacKimmie:

The new glass structure is literally transparent- it achieves the opposite of what the old brutalist form did.

OG Milner:

Somehow they have made a concrete brutalist structure seem even more imposing and oppressive. I find it impressive but also disheartening.

Welp, looks like the rest of the country has finally taken notice of our carbuncle and it's now a meme.

“I just make shit up as I go along,” confessed Lennox Elm who strictly uses MS Paint to design her projects. “Should a wall go there? Yeah, why the hell not. Block out all forms of natural sunlight? Sure. All I know is this project is going to get approved, go over budget, and nobody’s going to like it.”

Back