Stanley A. Milner Library | ?m | 6s | EPL | Teeple Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
IMG_4811.JPG

I think the building suffers from its surroundings. Impossible to take a picture of it without porridge buildings in background, the concrete wasteland that is Churchill Square in the foreground, and invariably in shade. Never seems to be any sunlight on it which brings the mood down. Up close its quite cool and the inside looks like it will be good.

As an aside, is the message on the building to the right - "Take a Risk, it's the most Edmonton thing you can do" - supposed to be ironic? Zero risk displayed in its surroundings except for the library design, which you could argue was a bit of a risk, and is roundly derided by Edmontonians.

Second Cup returning

PERMIT_DATE February 03, 2020
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 7 - SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL SQUARE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to a vacant CRU in a commercial building - Second Cup @ Stanley Milner Library.
BUILDING_TYPE Restaurants and Bars (540)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 100,000

JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to a vacant CRU in a commercial building - Second Cup @ Stanley Milner Library.
Good for them that's nice to see! Not often do you see companies come back following a substantial renovation. I wonder how much their lease terms would have changed.

PERMIT_DATE March 06, 2020
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 7 - SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL SQUARE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to a commercial Assembly use building, ''Edmonton Public Library ''. Develop 4 studios/sound rooms, 1 machine room (3d printer, lazer cutter, book binder) and 1 clean room.
BUILDING_TYPE Libraries/Museums/Art Galleries (630)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 6,802.78
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 700,000

In a street full of modern buildings, this could look cool, but by it's self it's just trying too hard. The pics of the inside do look nice, kind of reminds me of Top Gear's review of the Porsche Panamara, it's nice when you're in it and you don't have to look at the outside anymore lol.

Back