Stadium Yards | ?m | 6s | Rohit Communities

What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

@MacLac posted this one in a separate thread but it has me wondering if Rohit would ever look at a nearby parcel on Jasper Ave to keep the momentum of this area going.

Noticed that Mainstreet owns two dumpy old lowrises right next to River Ridge on Jasper ave (the red square)... I'd love to see Rohit acquire and build something vertical on that site, and if the stars ever aligned, also acquire the Highlands House site and build a commercial space in the blue square area, and perhaps turn the green triangular area into a green space (patio?) to connect the highrise to the rest of Stadium Yards.

View attachment 523298
I like this idea a lot. Also, any idea that involves tearing down and getting rid of a dumpy Mainstreet building is a win in my eyes.

I bet all general contractors and sub trades are just LOVING this extended fall weather. I wonder how many projects will be a bit ahead of schedule once winter really hits?
Yup we are getting a lot of stuff done which would have had to wait till spring. The late closing of asphalt plants helped as well. Notice landscapers are still planting trees and laying sod as well.

I would rather shop at a grocery store in my own neighborhood than take an LRT train to do grocery shopping. That's the purpose of a 15-minute city, yes?
With Stadium Yards, there is just a rundown Save-On Foods at 82 St/112 Ave. Another grocery store at Jasper Ave near 84 St will be much closer and will help lure more people into purchasing/renting a unit at Stadium Yards.

Let's be realistic, that site will never be redeveloped into a grocery store even if 3 more towers surrounded it.

There's a Save on Foods 3 blocks away on the corner of 82 st and 112 Ave. The area is not a food desert

I would argue that it's the worst Save On Foods location in this entire city. I wouldn't be surprised if Darrell decided to pull the plug on that location.

I would argue that it's the worst Save On Foods location in this entire city. I wouldn't be surprised if Darrell decided to pull the plug on that location.
Hey I like going to that Save On. It's not that bad, just a little small!

Though if I were to have my way I'd like to see a larger mixed-use development on the West side of the station, with room for another grocery store (or for the Save-On to relocate). Make good use of that big space on the southeast corner of 86 St/Stadium Rd and 112 Ave.
The closer it is to the station, the better it would work for transit users regardless of which direction they're travelling.
One problem with the Save On now is if you exit the station and want to commute west (as I would) or south the Save On is a fairly large detour on foot.

What are you on about? We've been shopping at that Save On for 8 years and its great! They do a good job keeping it clean and it has the best staff in the entire city. Touch over priced but that's true of every grocery store near the core. They've had most of the same staff for the entire time we've lived in the neighborhood and they seem to really enjoy working there and treat customers super well. It's not at all run down, you may be thinking of the former Safeway further up on 118th which was disgusting, still is even as a FreshCo.

I'm pretty stoked about the Stadium Yards stuff seeing such progress, adds some nice newer density to our neighborhood. Felice Cafe is the best addition to the neighborhood in years! Would love to see a good, higher end pub end it up there but I bet that's asking too much.

I don't think it's received a singular renovation that wasn't required maintenance or updating the signage since it opened circa 2002 but it's still not a bad spot.

Probably an unpopular opinion and I don't think there is really the right place for one where they'd receive the right traffic, but a Dollarama would probably kill it around here.

I don't think it's received a singular renovation that wasn't required maintenance or updating the signage since it opened circa 2002 but it's still not a bad spot.

Probably an unpopular opinion and I don't think there is really the right place for one where they'd receive the right traffic, but a Dollarama would probably kill it around here.
I think you have a misunderstanding of who lives in the vicinity. The Save On is heavily used by the middle class folks who live in Virginia Park, Cromdale, Parkdale, Alberta Ave, Highlands, and the Towers further South along Jasper. A Dollarama would be a better fit either further north by Freshco or over by McCauley.

I think you have a misunderstanding of who lives in the vicinity. The Save On is heavily used by the middle class folks who live in Virginia Park, Cromdale, Parkdale, Alberta Ave, Highlands, and the Towers further South along Jasper. A Dollarama would be a better fit either further north by Freshco or over by McCauley.
Middle class folks do shop at dollar stores and the overlap between product offerings at Save-On and a Dollarama are far from being a singular circle on a Venn Diagram. Especially with the recent inflationary pressures on food prices (esp. at Save-On, my lord) and even rent/mortgage rates. Yes, some folks in Virginia Park, Highlands and Cromdale west of 82nd are upper middle class, but there are a lot of lower middle income people as well all throughout the surrounding area as well. Even think of young people, if you're renting a $2200/mo apartment in Stadium Yards as a young person, at a certain point you're looking for ways to cut costs in your day to day.

Plus, there was actually a small dollar store next to the Subway for probably ~12 years.

Middle class folks do shop at dollar stores and the overlap between product offerings at Save-On and a Dollarama are far from being a singular circle on a Venn Diagram. Especially with the recent inflationary pressures on food prices (esp. at Save-On, my lord) and even rent/mortgage rates. Yes, some folks in Virginia Park, Highlands and Cromdale west of 82nd are upper middle class, but there are a lot of lower middle income people as well all throughout the surrounding area as well. Even think of young people, if you're renting a $2200/mo apartment in Stadium Yards as a young person, at a certain point you're looking for ways to cut costs in your day to day.

Plus, there was actually a small dollar store next to the Subway for probably ~12 years.
Fair enough, I think I read into your post the idea of replacing the Save On with a Dollar Store. Which I think was my inference not your implication. My apologies. I don't think one of the super big Dollarama's would be the right fit but a smaller one as a compliment could be.

I remember that dollar store, it was not doing well. Most of the local community stayed away from it so they only got business from the transient folks moving through the area. The Thai massage place that replaced it is doing well enough to have expanded to an additional space across 82nd ave.

Italian Centre is also not that far from the Stadium Yards area. I couldn't see another grocer moving in unless all of the vacant development parcels are developed with high density residential. The Save-On at 82 Street is not super busy and could use more customers, so it's not like there's a lack of grocery supply in the area currently.

Back