South Edmonton Hospital & Health Campus | ?m | ?s | Province of Alberta

Along with that, the government has a reduced surplus because of higher costs fighting climate emergencies and yet:
- new restrictions on renewable energy projects
- next to no restrictions on oil and gas development: production ramping up despite water and land impacts
- oil and gas companies still owe rural municipalities $250m in taxes
- Alberta has blackout risks and we're paying the most expensive energy costs in the country

What file should we move onto next? Health? Education? Human rights?

Ok, education it is. Alberta spending less per student than any other province - easily.

Last edited:
Cultivating the next generation of UCP voters. None of this is an accident.
So the Alberta advantage, which curiously isn't talked about much anymore, doesn't seem to apply to service levels. Really our resource revenues are just subsidizing lower tax rates for large corporations and high income earners.

I honestly cannot believe how powerful the "vote blue no matter what" group is. They are trying to push through so many unpopular policies, and failing to address any of the actual problems affecting Albertans right now.

UCP Priorities:
- Making life more difficult for Trans people
- Blatantly overreaching into the economy to stop renewable development, knee capping economic diversification and job creation
- Decimating public health care
- Blatantly overreaching into municipal boundaries
- Intentionally trying to kill all development and progress in the provincial capital because they didn't vote for them

Things the UCP has no interest in addressing:
- Affordability
- Housing
- Mental Health and Addiction
- Homelessness
aka: literally every policy issue anybody cares about right now

If they win the next election, I will move, straight up. They're driving this province into the ground head first and bringing everyone with them.

I agree with everything you said and I'll take it a step further.

I believe Alberta's entire political system is subservient to the interests of the oil and petrochemicals industry, and that applies to the UCP, NDP, and every other party when it comes down to it. Is the NDP better than the UCP and will it have an interest to invest in Edmonton? Yes, but in the end I can't see them making any substantial changes to how things are done or where funding goes, at least in an actually impactful way. Why would any government, no matter the party, heavily invest in public transit for example when that works against the interests of who lines the pockets of these politicians? What incentive is there to create a province-wide strategy to address the cost of living crisis and related homelessness and drug epidemics (or, God forbid, coordinate with the federal government for a nation-wide strategy), when they can just give more tax breaks to appease these petrochemical companies?

Every province has its issues and pitfalls when it comes to policy and investment, but Alberta needs to fix itself soon before we're left with an underfunded and privatized system and a dying economy at the same time.

"As part of this integrated planning approach, the government is committed to increasing Albertans’ access to health care. The scope of health care services that were planned for the proposed Edmonton hospital caused the project’s budget to approach $5 billion, making it one of the most expensive hospitals in this country. To ensure that we are making the best use of limited taxpayer dollars, the government has reassessed this project and allocated the planning fund to the integrated health and social infrastructure planning project.The province is focused on delivering health care infrastructure more efficiently and cost-effectively than in the past. This includes building smaller, purposebuilt facilities such as a standalone Stollery Children’s Hospital, surgical centres, continuing care facilities, and family care centres. These facilities are less costly, less complex, and therefore able to deliver services to Albertans sooner. The 2024 Capital Plan includes:" as per the Gov't of AB

Ssssoooo the new SW hospital's cost approached $5B - so instead of actually building it - cheap out on "quicker to deliver services to Albertans." How does this make sense? Spend $7B in 5 years - hospital is still needed.

So they really think that a standalone Stollery hospital will be cheaper than building the South Edmonton hospital? Would these two projects be at least of a similar scale and therefore cost? Building a Stollery is still technically like building a large specialized hospital that will see a high volume of patients every year.

I'm still scratching my head about them cancelling this project. Boggles the mind really.

I agree with everything you said and I'll take it a step further.

I believe Alberta's entire political system is subservient to the interests of the oil and petrochemicals industry, and that applies to the UCP, NDP, and every other party when it comes down to it. Is the NDP better than the UCP and will it have an interest to invest in Edmonton? Yes, but in the end I can't see them making any substantial changes to how things are done or where funding goes, at least in an actually impactful way. Why would any government, no matter the party, heavily invest in public transit for example when that works against the interests of who lines the pockets of these politicians? What incentive is there to create a province-wide strategy to address the cost of living crisis and related homelessness and drug epidemics (or, God forbid, coordinate with the federal government for a nation-wide strategy), when they can just give more tax breaks to appease these petrochemical companies?

Every province has its issues and pitfalls when it comes to policy and investment, but Alberta needs to fix itself soon before we're left with an underfunded and privatized system and a dying economy at the same time.
I know that Notley's single term feels like a hundred years ago, but I'm old enough to remember that her government actually did make meaningful changes that would be bearing fruit if not immediately scuttled by the UCP. There were myriad polices and programs to incubate a diversified economy which would provide Albertans with more leverage to act in their own interests.

As for working against the O&G industry, do you not remember the standoff with petrochemical companies that were threatening to leave if they didn't get more government concessions? Notley new, as did any rational thinker, how sweet of a deal they had and called their bluff. How was Alberta punished? The companies stayed and ended up investing more.

They are not different sides of the same coin. Smith's government is an all-out kleptocracy that is actively dismantling healthcare and education (among other things).

How the hell are we a supposed 'have province' not worthy of the best healthcare facilities in Canada? Who gives a shit if it's $5B we have a rapidly aging and growing population we need this investment in our major centers now. I guess they should have built it years ago when it was cheaper but here is where we are now.

Unbelievably disappointing, but on par for Edmonton being given the shit end of the stick every time. I am angry for our city, its citizens and the potential this project had to transform that area.... Just waiting now for the UCP creeps to sell the land for peanuts.

Last edited:
I call bull shit, No matter what we as a city and region did or is doing would have gotten this built by this Government. I have been watching the south campus and Stollery get kicked down the field for almost 10 years now. They were talking about both when I stared at Stantec. When the Calgary Campus was getting built we should have had ours started. Hell Red Deer is still not started. They are still in the RFQ stage. And that has been kicked around for 10 or more years as well. RedDeer should have a seperate hospital not an Addition to the current one. 250 mil doesn't get you a lot in Health care these days.From what I had heard earlier this year There was even a location for Stoller picked.
The Tories have always looked out for Calgary over all other municipalities in Alberta. Those who remembered the Klein austerity era WILL REMEMBER HOW CALGARY, ALL BY THEIR LONESOME SELF, RECIEVED MULTIPLE FUNDINGS IN LARGE QUANTITIES WHILE THE REST OF THE PROVINCE SALIVATED AND WHINED IN STARVATION. REGARDLESS HOW THIS PARTY REFORMED, "THE WASH, RINSE, AND REPEAT CYCLE" REMAIN STUCK.

The 5B mentioned was for the entire campus that would have seen Long term care, Cancer care, Acute Care and a few more services all in the same complex. A campus style similar to say a Foothills or a Royal Alex. The 400 bed would be about 2B. Looking at Van St Paul's Hospital is 2B. So it makes sense.

The finance minister also touched on the province’s decision to shelve work on a South Edmonton Hospital after spending $69 million on the project, saying at a cost of $5 billion for 400 beds, it would have been the most expensive hospital built in North America.

“It’s not that we don’t want to build that, but we want to do it right.”

Back