7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Skyline

edmonton-jasper-avenue.jpg

A bit of a unique angle.

I feel like what gets lost in all the discussion about towers not getting built or being cancelled is the fact that if you compare Edmonton to the other 1-3 million population metros in North America, our skyline punches way above its weight class, and our volume of high rise housing in the core is way above a lot of American cities with 2 or 3 times our population.

Because of the river valley, you have both a scenic view and a lot of high rises strung along the top of the bank which makes for a very nice and impressive skyline.

However, a few streets back can be parking, empty lots, or old walk ups. The density here is very uneven so I think seeing it at street level is considerably less impressive than the skyline.

I feel like what gets lost in all the discussion about towers not getting built or being cancelled is the fact that if you compare Edmonton to the other 1-3 million population metros in North America, our skyline punches way above its weight class, and our volume of high rise housing in the core is way above a lot of American cities with 2 or 3 times our population.
This seems to generally be the case for Canadian Cities as opposed to American Cities.

Edmonton ~ 1.5 Mil
yegskyline.jpg

Calgary ~ 1.5 Mil
cgyskyline.jpg

Milwaukee ~1.5 Mil (on par with Winnipeg Skyline, in fact looks suspiciously similar):
milskyline.jpg

Raleigh ~1.5 Mil:
ralskyline.jpg

For whatever reason, Canadian cities have bigger skylines relative to population. Ottawa is an exception here (roughly the same size as EDM and CGY population wise) as I would place Raleigh and Milwaukee as more impressive, but that's due to height restrictions.

even much larger cities than Raleigh and Milwaukee in the US have next to no high rise housing. For example:
Phoenix population ~5million
Phoenix-cityscape_b2b0b89039603b931027eb2900b66531.jpg

and Atlanta population ~6 million
atlanta.jpg

Our skyline is very impressive for the size of the city, but that's probably also contributing to the amount of undeveloped lots we have in the core, we likely don't have the demand for more than a few large high rise developments despite lots of plans and proposals.

Back