Rogers Place | ?m | ?s | Katz Group | HOK

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
In retrospect I shouldn't have gone with "constant plague", that was definitely overdramatic for what I was thinking of. I often notice with a lot of new developments that finishing touches and attention to detail are lacking, pieces of metal siding don't meet flush or masonry work is mismatched, a display board with tons of dead pixels, little things like that. In my admittedly subjective experience, these sorts of oversights seem much more common here in Edmonton than what I've seen from new developments in Calgary or what I notice when I visit family in Ontario.

Just a few examples I was able to grab on a ten minute walk after work:

20200805_181315.jpg20200805_175951.jpg20200805_181806.jpg

I also admit it's possibly a bit of a stretch to draw a line between micro-issues like these and larger issues like the flooding at Rogers Place, but I suppose what I was getting at was that this often feels like it's part of the same "good enough for Edmonton" mentality that seems to permeate quite a bit of the urban development in this city.

Last edited:
Reference ID:Job No 395066341-002
Description:To construct exterior (removal of a door and glazing and replace with an overhead glazing door) and interior alterations and to operate and renovate a portion of the event level 1 (ground floor) that is a General Retail Store in Ford Hall, adjacent to the Ice District Plaza main entrance to Rogers Place to create a room to park a Zamboni (ice resurfacer) to be used to maintain the ice rink in the plaza).
Plan 1425251 Blk 9E Lot 5
Applicant:DIALOG
Create Date:5/7/2021 3:47:32 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Does anyone know how large of a portion of that CRU they're converting for the Zamboni? Would be a shame if the whole thing (or large portion, anyway) became back-of-house. Also hope the overhead door is on the east side of the space, not directly facing the plaza just for aesthetics of the plaza.

I'm a terrible Albertan. It took me about a minute to realize it wasn't the Pabst Blue Ribbon Canada National Finals, and I was trying to figure out what sport this is and how I get in on it
I took place in the PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) Finals at Goose Lake the summer of 2014. I came in third with 24 cans drank over two days. The gut rot lasted till the next weekend.

@IanO does love his abbreviations and his thesaurus/alternative word
while it's too often true that IanO tends to post in the "i'm in the know and if it's not clear to you it only shows you're not" style, i'm pretty sure that's not accurate here...

the headline itself in the linked article refers to pbr and the organization itself refers to itself as pbr.

if acronym isn't as well known as the nfl or nba or even the cfl in southern california circles, just as the ncaa or pac10 might not be that well recognized here, that's not IanO's fault this time. :)

I get it Ken, I just can't resist the opportunity to drift him down a peg or two when the opportunity arises. He pretends to have "an owner's manual on everything" and from his random comments I certainly know that that is not true. If you notice, he has this habit of listing a series of nouns or adjectives that essentially have the same meaning separating them by a series/of/slashes -- I chuckle every time I see them. And he constantly abbreviates to a series of capital letters and I think that's why @Omega Prime and @nv96 took their shots. Anyway, all in fun -- Ian is as Ian does.

Last edited:
Not that I'm much of an activist, but rodeo and bull riding seems like a pretty clear cut example of cruelty to animals to me. I don't want to criticize or fault people for watching, because it does seem entertaining, but I have the personal opinion that it's a tragedy that this "sport' still exists in 2021.

Back