Rogers Place | ?m | ?s | Katz Group | HOK

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
d24c3ed4-3b4a-4718-b024-bac4e5b59fde.jpg

50b21060-f8ea-4334-bf3e-a638c60ca19d.jpg

100c142a-4106-451c-8382-5fa2b29c4ff7.jpg

f643befe-ddfa-443f-ba79-029a471a3f0d.jpg

Looking Forward to 2017

As our inaugural year, 2016 will always be an unforgettable one. But 2017 promises to be every bit as monumental, filled with more exciting firsts and memorable highlights. Here’s a look ahead at construction milestones we can all look forward to happening in the next 12 months:
January
Excavation on the future residences and retail on the west side of ICE District was completed.

February
Work will commence on the final section of the main ICE District underground parkade, which will be accessible from the JW Marriott, The Legends Private Residences, Stantec Tower, residences at Stantec Tower, and the future retail and residences on the west side.

May
Stantec Tower and the JW Marriott/The Legends Private Residences tower will near the 20-storey mark.

July
The JW Marriott hotel levels will top out and the residential portion of The Legends Private Residences will commence. The Public Plaza footprint will be taking shape south of Ford Hall, with the cladding and glazing on the Stantec Tower podium well underway.

September
Parkade grade slabs, under the future residences on the west side, will be nearing completion and will allow erection of the steelwork for the retail podium to commence. The tower core will reach grade.

November
Work on the future residential tower, located on the west side, should be above grade alongside the developing retail podium.

December
The Stantec Tower office levels will top out and the residential portion of the tower will commence. All towers in this phase of ICE District will be well underway. The floors of The Legends Private Residences will be about half-way done.
http://us13.campaign-archive1.com/?u=82a720a47e66fd34a413f456f&id=679c89cd89&e=44b8276c2b

'It's not wasted': Rogers Place donates leftovers to Edmonton Food Bank
A lot of food is prepared for hockey games and concerts at Rogers Place — and it doesn't all get eaten.

But not all the leftovers end up in a dumpster. The Rock and Wrap It Up program tries to ensure that quality food left over after events is donated to the Edmonton Food Bank.

Since November, Rogers Place has donated 2,880 lbs of food — or about 2,216 meals — to those who need it most. Every few weeks, the food bank arrives with a refrigerated truck to pick up between 500 and 700 pounds of prepared food.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tes-leftovers-to-edmonton-food-bank-1.3961778

PBR GLOBAL CUP TO DEBUT IN EDMONTON

$1,000,000 Purse on the Line for the World’s Best Bull Riders

Edmonton, AB (February 8, 2017) – Professional Bull Riders (PBR) and Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) today announced Rogers Place in Edmonton, AB will be the first-ever Canadian host of the PBR Global Cup on November 9-11, 2017. The three-day event will feature the world’s best bull riders from Canada, the United States, Mexico, Brazil and Australia, all competing for their country and a Canadian-record purse of $1,000,000.

3-Day ticket packages for this highly-anticipated event begin at $190 and go on sale to the public at 10:00 AM on Tuesday, February 28 at RogersPlace.com.

The Edmonton event will award the largest purse for bull riding in Canada and the second-largest payout in North America, next to the PBR World Finals in Las Vegas. A first-of-its-kind event for Rogers Place, Edmonton will welcome the best bull riders and best bulls from around the world as PBR headlines a celebration of western lifestyle with other community events and festivities planned across the city.

The bull riding event, which will be broadcast domestically on TSN and RDS, is an important pillar to the new PBR Global Cup, a five-country, international competition that will crown the world’s best bull riding nation.

On Thursday, November 9, Rogers Place will be the scene for the Canadian National Team Qualifier event, following the multi-city Monster Energy Canada Tour. On November 10 and 11, forty of the world’s top cowboys, including 12 from Canada, will then compete in the PBR Global Cup – a year-long tournament that will visit five countries to decide which nation can claim to be the world’s best bull riding nation. Each participating country – the US, Australia, Brazil, Canada and Mexico – will host a three-day PBR Global Cup event. Similar to the format in Edmonton, the first day will feature a National Team qualifier with the Global Cup competition held the remaining two days.
http://www.rogersplace.com/pbr-global-cup-to-debut-in-edmonton/

Sometimes it's hard to appreciate the scale of our scoreboard until you see it as a backdrop behind chairs.

Man, the thing is massive. I really need to see it in person.

Thanks for the welcome, Dave, much appreciated.

I am a long time lurker of the C2E forum that is currently disillusioned at what it has turned into. Used to be a great place to find information and pictures on buildings, but has unfortunately over the last year or two descended into a large bicker fest between several regular members. Just tired of it.

Garth Brooks' nine-show Edmonton run a boon for retailers and a logistical challenge for Rogers Place
While music fans await Friday’s start of Garth Brooks’ record-setting Edmonton run, local businesses hope the country superstar will help them play an upbeat tune on their cash register keys.

Rogers Place is hosting nine sold-out performances by Brooks and wife Trisha Yearwood, the most consecutive arena shows anyone has given in the city and among the largest number of events in a row Brooks has done in one place since his tour started in 2014.

An estimated 160,000 tickets worth $12.8 million have likely been purchased to see the man behind such hits as Friends in Low Places and Papa Loved Mama.

While Rogers Place isn’t releasing figures, in December Brooks tweeted that more than 140,000 tickets had been sold for the shows Feb. 17 to 25.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business...s-and-a-logistical-challenge-for-rogers-place

Mildly frustrated at people who still won't give this place a chance. Paraphrasing Twitter:

Person 1: "I love how much activity the Garth Brooks concerts have brought downtown!"
Person 2: "Sure, but walk around there at other times of the day and it's still dead!"

REMINDER: This was a parking lot previously. ANY new activity it has brought is an improvement on what was there before.
ALSO REMINDER: This pre-show activity would not exist downtown without it. It wouldn't even exist if the show were at Northlands because it lacks the dining and entertainment options that downtown has to offer.
ALSO ALSO REMINDER: The area is not finished yet. There is still a large new plaza to be lined with retail, a hotel, office workers relocating, and hundreds of residential units still to come. These will bring more activity to more hours of the day.

It has already made an impact, and that impact will continue to grow as the district nears completion. It's not a failure, it's not that it hasn't met its promise; you're just ignoring the impact it is having for the impact you perceive to be missing, and you're expecting instant gratification instead of waiting for the bigger picture to come together.

O.K. I think I can vouch for the transition that is about to occur in Edmonton as per @Daveography's points above. The exact same transition happened in Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Convention Center was developed a number of decades ago on freeway-adjacent land that was previously mostly surface parking and derelict older buildings. People came to the area only when there were shows worth visiting (car show, home show, boat show, etc.). The social temperature of the area was similar to Edmonton adjacent to the now-demolished Greyhound Bus Depot. Then, the Staples Centre opened in 1999. Now with a mix of conventions and sports (primarily NHL hockey and NBA basketball) more people came to the area. When the people reached a continuous critical mass, all manner of development broke loose. LA Live now sports a hotel, countless restaurants, pubs, retail and to Dave's point, continuous pedestrian flow at all hours of the day and all days of the week. A tertiary level of development is now underway bringing high-rise apartments and condominiums and hotels to adjacent areas -- the whole of downtown Los Angeles has benefitted.

Banking off of the LA Live experience, Mr. Katz and company are building the whole experience in one mega effort. Unlike the L.A. example, all of the elements will appear nearly simultaneously and the area will be flush with people all day long every day. But it is not going to stop there. Mr. Katz was smart enough to realize that the demand downtown will keep growing and he has maintained a reserve of land pretty much equal in size to what he is currently developing. Besides Mr. Katz' future developments we know of 3 major high-rise condominium projects that are going up within a stone's throw that are also going to benefit the area people-wise (not including those recently completed or currently under construction).

brooks6.jpg

In Photos: Sea of Garth Brooks fans fill downtown Edmonton between concerts on Sunday
Thousands of fans of country music superstar Garth Brooks filled the streets outside Rogers Place Sunday.

The concert series is now at the half way mark, with four more shows to go next weekend.
On Sunday evening, thousands of people could be seen leaving the arena following the afternoon concert, while thousands more waited in a long line that stretched outside the building and around the corner, ahead of the 7 p.m. show.

Brooks’ residency will actually see three days on which the singer will play multiple shows.

Feb. 18, 19 and 25 all have 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. concerts, meaning thousands of people will be filing out of Rogers Place at the same time as many people will be waiting to get inside.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3260191/i...downtown-edmonton-between-concerts-on-sunday/

Couldn't agree more, years ago I stayed in the Marriott across the street from Staples and did the Kings/Lakers weekend and enjoyed the environment so much that as soon as the Edmonton arena development was announced I inquired about future residential plans for the area (I was assuming conventional condo buildings). Fast forward 5 short years and I am impatiently tracking the progress of construction of The Legends on this terrific Skyrise site until I can move into my unit. As a lifelong Edmontonian I am excited with the potential for the entire area knowing that the majority of the attractions are still under construction.

I went to the concert on Sunday night, it was unreal! Talking to numerous people, it was amazing how many people were from out of town. Lots from all over Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC, these 9 concerts will be a big shot in the arm for local businesses, a real win-win situation for them and for downtown as a whole.

Back