News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Riverhawks Baseball 2021 onward

1688794653533.png

Yah drove by and the traffic was pretty bad. but it looks good that the park is full. My company had a social night there on Friday. I think the River Hawks are marketing this pretty good as well. Noticed it was quite full yesterday afternoon.

I have seen a few companies on social hosting events there; even had a friend who has not been to a game in about 10yrs send me photos with him and a group of friends there Sat.

It's clear that they have done a good job and have some momentum.

I have seen a few companies on social hosting events there; even had a friend who has not been to a game in about 10yrs send me photos with him and a group of friends there Sat.

It's clear that they have done a good job and have some momentum.
Yes, they have! It's a great family-friendly option for people to get out in the summer. Just under 4000 people yesterday.
IMG-5036.jpg

Good to see both the Stingers and Riverhawks killing it!

That baseball diamond needs some transit or something though (gondola?) to help with parking and getting people there. Not a great in/out. I don’t care cause I just bike, but I have friends who won’t go because of traffic. (They added secure bike parking like beauties though).

Good to see both the Stingers and Riverhawks killing it!

That baseball diamond needs some transit or something though (gondola?) to help with parking and getting people there. Not a great in/out. I don’t care cause I just bike, but I have friends who won’t go because of traffic. (They added secure bike parking like beauties though).

Rossdale redevelopment should take care of that. RE/MAX Field is on the left in the pic.

o5rizS7.png

Just in time for the award winning urban plan to be out of date and require an update...;)

It's too bad FC Edmonton was not able to create this same level of interest and success. There's a lot of soccer fans in Edmonton, too.

But really glad to see what's happening with these two other sports.

It's too bad FC Edmonton was not able to create this same level of interest and success. There's a lot of soccer fans in Edmonton, too.

But really glad to see what's happening with these two other sports.
Just like the Elks they weren't winning enough, and people started losing interest unfortunately

Just like the Elks they weren't winning enough, and people started losing interest unfortunately
Riverhawks are 10-24 and the stingers are 6th out of 10 teams in the standings. So both have losing records but are still getting great engagement. I think the marketing and fan experiences are just a lot better than what the elks are doing. 20 straight losses is undeniably hard to overcome though too. That’s gotta be fixed to give marketing a chance haha.

Riverhawks are 10-24 and the stingers are 6th out of 10 teams in the standings. So both have losing records but are still getting great engagement. I think the marketing and fan experiences are just a lot better than what the elks are doing. 20 straight losses is undeniably hard to overcome though too. That’s gotta be fixed to give marketing a chance haha.
I don't know about the Riverhawks, but in the Stingers' defense, they were league champions 2 years in a row (and are the defending champions), despite this year's underwhelming results. That tends to increase the engagement level. I doubt that if they fail to improve their records for another two or 3 seasons they'll see the same level of fan engagement.
It also helps that basketball has A LOT more fans than soccer, here.

Last Soccer post on here from me.

Certainly success has something to do with it.

When the Edmonton Drillers played in the North American Soccer League NASL from 1979-82 (they were brought here by Pocklington), their average attendance was 10,000 (11,000 in 1980) for the first couple years and then dropped off to 4,000/game in 1982 when they dissolved (finished bottom of standings).

I think 1980 was our best season.
Screenshot_20230716-150200_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230716-150124_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230716-150002_Samsung Internet.jpg

That baseball diamond needs some transit or something though (gondola?) to help with parking and getting people there.
The Muttart LRT stop is relatively close, it's too bad the area it's in is so bad for functional (not recreational) active transportation.

Last edited:

Back