News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

Good to see. Now how about those 'derelict' surface parking lots...

---

Edmonton approves new tax subclass for derelict properties
October 4, 2023

City Council approved a new tax subclass for derelict residential properties in mature areas today. Edmonton is the first city in Canada to make a subclass specifically for derelict properties, as part of a larger effort to combat problem properties and encourage community vibrancy.

Starting in 2024, the new derelict tax subclass can be applied to residential properties in mature neighbourhoods that show serious signs of neglect, are dilapidated, are falling into significant disrepair or are unlivable. The subclass will allow the City to charge a higher tax rate to owners of properties in these neighbourhoods that are assessed as derelict.

The City will notify an estimated 300 affected owners about the potential of their property being assessed as derelict in a letter this fall. All property assessments will be confirmed in January 2024 when assessment notices are sent in the mail to over 400,000 Edmonton property owners.

“The derelict tax subclass is a new tool in the City’s toolbox for addressing the harmful impact that derelict and problem residential properties can have,” said Cate Watt, Branch Manager, Assessment and Taxation. “Managing derelict properties often comes with additional costs to the City and a higher tax rate will help to cover those costs while encouraging property owners to clean up derelict houses. We hope this will play a role in improving the vibrancy of mature neighbourhoods in the long run.”

In an independent case study from 2017-2020, a sample of 31 problem properties created an estimated $1.3 million in City costs for bylaw inspections and enforcement, fire inspections and suppression, safety codes and development compliance inspections, and police inspections and responses. Several of these properties were also derelict and contributed significantly to those costs.

Derelict and problem residential properties are defined differently. For a property to be considered derelict for tax purposes, the City must assess the physical condition of the home on the property, looking for buildings that are deserted, boarded up, deemed unfit for habitation, or abandoned partway through the process of construction or demolition. City property assessors cannot base their assessment on any potential social or safety issues connected to a property, such as being a fire or public health risk, or being a location of repeated criminal activity. Problem properties are defined by those issues. This means that not all problem properties will be considered derelict and vice versa.

The City’s Problem Property Initiative, which co-ordinates the efforts of multiple City departments, the Edmonton Police Service, Alberta Health Services and the Government of Alberta, will continue to lead the effort to address problem properties as a whole.

Edmontonians who are concerned about problem properties can notify the City by calling 311 or using the confidential online Report a Problem Property form. Minor nuisance complaints about concerns like long grass, graffiti or furniture left on front lawns, can also be directed to 311.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/derelictsubclass
edmonton.ca/problemproperties

Media contact:
Lindsay Yarmon
Senior Communications Advisor
Financial and Corporate Services
780-977-8293

A win for the city and Coun. Salvador who brought both this forward and the parking lots.

Great to have her on council.

Fix Edmonton's marketing and you fix 90% of the issue... at that point the remaining 10% will easily follow.
I agree with this fully. Calgary looks attractive because it's marketed well. Being from there people really went to the mountains once or twice a year, if, and anywhere interesting is a day trip. At least my take.

Metro Edmonton is filled with a ton of not talked about places. There are many places to go, see and do within an hour, but nothing that a google search will easily tell you. I even get to show people that have lived here longer than myself new places. Fix the marketing not just for the city, but the region!

Condos aren't hot in Edmonton right now, the market demand I imagine to be different therefore the real estate investments are probably different. In Edmonton there are a couple hundred listings for a detached house under $350k, but none in Calgary.
If one was moving to Alberta even, right now it's a condo in Calgary or a house in Edmonton. Options are more 'balanced' in Edmonton imo, not that there isn't demand per se. Still, I don't underestimate the amount of people moving here, there more people and cars than I've ever seen.

I agree with this fully. Calgary looks attractive because it's marketed well. Being from there people really went to the mountains once or twice a year, if, and anywhere interesting is a day trip. At least my take.

Metro Edmonton is filled with a ton of not talked about places. There are many places to go, see and do within an hour, but nothing that a google search will easily tell you. I even get to show people that have lived here longer than myself new places. Fix the marketing not just for the city, but the region!

Condos aren't hot in Edmonton right now, the market demand I imagine to be different therefore the real estate investments are probably different. In Edmonton there are a couple hundred listings for a detached house under $350k, but none in Calgary.
If one was moving to Alberta even, right now it's a condo in Calgary or a house in Edmonton. Options are more 'balanced' in Edmonton imo, not that there isn't demand per se. Still, I don't underestimate the amount of people moving here, there more people and cars than I've ever seen.
Yup the amount of people and out of province plates have been insane lately. Anecdotally, I flew in from YVR around a week ago and around 30-40% of my flight were new immigrants (I could see their papers in transparent folders, made me feel like I was a new migrant here all over again lol). If that report regarding apartment vacancies dropping is true, I'd love for some of them to end up downtown or in Oliver. That, and the Tiktoks of Edmonton real estate geared towards non-Albertans make me think we might get a Calgary treatment soon.

A wise man once said that Edmonton is both one of the hardest places to recruit talent to, but also one of the hardest to recruit talent out of*

*because they’re so underwater on their condo they bought seven years ago they can’t afford to move
the first paragraph has been true for a long time, even when home and condo prices were rapidly creating equity.

furthermore, while the second circumstance might be true today, it might deter someone from moving “on spec” but is often something an aggressive recruiter will compensate for asking with moving expenses etc.

the first paragraph has been true for a long time, even when home and condo prices were rapidly creating equity.

furthermore, while the second circumstance might be true today, it might deter someone from moving “on spec” but is often something an aggressive recruiter will compensate for asking with moving expenses etc.
I wonder who the wise man who I heard that from ;)

It is mostly marketing, although some of it comes from our city's more industrial history. Prominent areas like Gateway Blvd that visitors see really need to be spruced up more.

Flower pots and new sidewalks are nice, but they can not hide the number of plain utilitarian buildings in some prominent areas. Some of that is a result of the style and era these buildings were built.

Unfortunately, we also seem to get little national media attention for a city our size and are mostly ignored. Our business/community leaders are not aggressive enough in promoting the city and I think many of them don't actually understand how to market it well, which is kind of odd as many of those people in their own businesses and lives seem fairly smart and successful.

A small thing that I think has a fairly profound impact too is all of these international livability or best city lists.
How often have you heard "Calgary is one of the worlds most livable cities!". Edmonton isn't talked about not because it ranked poorly, but because it wasn't even on the assessment list to begin with! I seem to recall one of the organizations even saying once that they see Calgary and Edmonton as equivalent so they only rank one of them, but their list still says Calgary giving them all the press.
But because Edmonton is comparable to Calgary, but isn't on the list at all, normal Canadians would either take that to mean that "Calgary is good and Edmonton is crap." or "Calgary is big and Edmonton is small."

This is the sort of thing you might expect to occur with cities of vastly different sizes like Vancouver vs Victoria. Noone is expecting an international organization to rank small cities Saskatoon or Waterloo.
But because Edmonton is comparable to Calgary, but isn't on the list at all it actually does us a big disservice. And it's not like this is niche thing, these lists come out every single year, from multiple organizations. A whole bunch of national headlines get passed around every year about how great Calgary and Vancouver and Toronto are and we get shit all.

A small thing that I think has a fairly profound impact too is all of these international livability or best city lists.
How often have you heard "Calgary is one of the worlds most livable cities!". Edmonton isn't talked about not because it ranked poorly, but because it wasn't even on the assessment list to begin with! I seem to recall one of the organizations even saying once that they see Calgary and Edmonton as equivalent so they only rank one of them, but their list still says Calgary giving them all the press.
But because Edmonton is comparable to Calgary, but isn't on the list at all, normal Canadians would either take that to mean that "Calgary is good and Edmonton is crap." or "Calgary is big and Edmonton is small."

This is the sort of thing you might expect to occur with cities of vastly different sizes like Vancouver vs Victoria. Noone is expecting an international organization to rank small cities Saskatoon or Waterloo.
But because Edmonton is comparable to Calgary, but isn't on the list at all it actually does us a big disservice. And it's not like this is niche thing, these lists come out every single year, from multiple organizations. A whole bunch of national headlines get passed around every year about how great Calgary and Vancouver and Toronto are and we get shit all.
Exactly! People are not going to move in droves to a place they don't know anything about. The Edmonton being similar to Calgary argument may actually be true, but somehow it it seems generally Calgary that gets mentioned or noted and not the other way around.

Imagine if that international study on livability cited Edmonton and left out Calgary because it was similar or close by - the city council and business community there would blow a gasket! Yet, somehow we put up with this crap all the time. I suppose we are used to it, but we need to advocate much more aggressively for our own city, especially our business and political leaders who I feel are somehow falling short on this.

Exactly! People are not going to move in droves to a place they don't know anything about. The Edmonton being similar to Calgary argument may actually be true, but somehow it it seems generally Calgary that gets mentioned or noted and not the other way around.

Imagine if that international study on livability cited Edmonton and left out Calgary because it was similar or close by - the city council and business community there would blow a gasket! Yet, somehow we put up with this crap all the time. I suppose we are used to it, but we need to advocate much more aggressively for our own city, especially our business and political leaders who I feel are somehow falling short on this.
According to Condé Nast we are the second most friendly city in the world! The first is Calgary 😂

Attachments

• IMG_7034.jpeg
    IMG_7034.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Article on the Ellerslie Rugby Park and plans for development of the site.
A 10 minute bus ride from the future Ellerslie LRT station. I hope this can develop into high density with a good bus connection, that isn't an embarrassing sign on the road. More bus stations, and less bus stops please.

Interesting how we are ahead of Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal on single family starts and close to TO. However, not many apartment starts here this year.

I suspect as the vacancy rate continues to come down and rents go up that may change at some point in the future.

Back