News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

Housing starts for January – July 2024 compared with January - June 2023

Provincewide: 25,862 compared with 17,378 (up 49 per cent)
Edmonton: 10,056 compared with 6,554 (up 54 per cent)
Calgary: 13,649 compared with 9,727 (up 40 per cent)

GOA

Average monthly price for bachelor units in Edmonton has increased for 4 years in a row. Comparison to Calgary shows that Edmonton is still leading affordability for young professionals.

GeographyEdmonton, Alberta (map)
Type of unitBachelor units
Type of structure20192020202120222023
Dollars
Row and apartment structures of three units and over877881879904948
Row structures of three units and over838854826868912
Apartment structures of three units and over878881879904948
Apartment structures of six units and over878881880904948

GeographyCalgary, Alberta (map)
Type of unitBachelor units
Type of structure20192020202120222023
Dollars
Row and apartment structures of three units and over8988819199721,202
Row structures of three units and overFFFFF
Apartment structures of three units and over8998839209741,204
Apartment structures of six units and over9028869239771,209

Capture.png

Capture.png

St Johns: The median sale price for single detached homes was up 6.7% on a year-over-year basis to $293,500 in the second quarter of 2024.

Edmonton: The median sale price for single detached homes was up 7.8% on a year-over-year basis to $485,000 in the second quarter of 2024. This was a new record for the median sale price.

Toronto: The median sale price for single detached homes edged down 3.7% on a year-over-year basis to $1,300,000 in the second quarter of 2024.

It seems like they're expecting rate cuts at every meeting now. I'm guessing this bodes well for multi-family development in the city?
Multi-family developments are pretty important right now, the newly available 30-year mortgages are only available for first-time homebuyers in newly constructed residences. Almost the only way most people can afford to start families at this point.

We need another 100 basis points to really move the needle, but every bit helps and releases a larger group of buyers to the market.

Edmonton's apartment-style condos are ripe for investment​

In addition to much lower prices and also unlike the bigger, more expensive cities, not many new condos being built here now. So when there is little or no change in supply and some increase in demand, you know what will eventually happen.

Multi-family developments are pretty important right now, the newly available 30-year mortgages are only available for first-time homebuyers in newly constructed residences. Almost the only way most people can afford to start families at this point.
It seems like they're expecting rate cuts at every meeting now. I'm guessing this bodes well for multi-family development in the city?

Plots of land and tear downs are selling like wildfire right now. My realtor said he hasn't seen anything like it ever. Doctors, lawyers, CEO's etc. are buying up tons of land and entering the multi-family market. It's very weird. The new rezoning rules ignited a fire. And cheap development costs in Edmonton. I guess we will be a city of renters eventually. "You'll own nothing and be happy". I guess as long as we're happy :p

Plots of land and tear downs are selling like wildfire right now. My realtor said he hasn't seen anything like it ever. Doctors, lawyers, CEO's etc. are buying up tons of land and entering the multi-family market. It's very weird. The new rezoning rules ignited a fire. And cheap development costs in Edmonton. I guess we will be a city of renters eventually. "You'll own nothing and be happy". I guess as long as we're happy :p
Unprecedented subsidies for multi-family housing, coming from all levels of government. For years people have bemoaned the "missing middle" property type between an apartment and a single-family home, but a LOT of the new developments seem to be more apartments. They're not even for sale, they're just rental properties at a similar price to the mortgage cost.

Absolutely bizarre market.

Yes, it is sort of odd rental development is so booming now even though prices are similar to or less than the mortgage cost here.

But perhaps like elsewhere, higher interest rates have put off buyers particularly younger, first time ones and they are waiting for those rates to come down soon as anticipated.

Back