News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

Annex Land… And Then Sit on our Hands?​

Council's push to put the brakes on southern development is so 2007
BY MICHAEL WALTERS JUNE 14, 2024

We are headed into a housing affordability hurricane wearing nothing but a t-shirt and shorts. We need to quickly figure out what should and shouldn't be developed and proceed accordingly, not freeze like a deer in the headlights.

The only thing keeping housing more affordable here now is a relative abundance of land to develop. If we lose that we will end up like elsewhere.

I’m fine with limiting sprawl at the cost of increased housing affordability.

We’ve got enough leeway with ZBR that infill development isn’t a complete painful experience like it is in the GTA when they implemented the Greenbelt and prices shot up.

First wanting to make Blatchford allow SFH and now this? Is BILD Edmonton on a lobbying campaign or something lol

We are headed into a housing affordability hurricane wearing nothing but a t-shirt and shorts. We need to quickly figure out what should and shouldn't be developed and proceed accordingly, not freeze like a deer in the headlights.

The only thing keeping housing more affordable here now is a relative abundance of land to develop. If we lose that we will end up like elsewhere.
Remember that our property taxes are significantly higher than other cities thanks to our sprawl though. And those are pure expenses, not equity you keep. So you can argue sprawl keeps housing cheaper. But 20-40k more in taxes over a decade isnt cheap either.

Sales of Edmonton's million-dollar homes hold steady in real estate boom​

Here a million still actually buys something fairly nice, unlike some cities where it gets you a tear down or something close to that.

Rob McAdam - Director, Safety Codes, Permits and Inspections
The City of Edmonton saw a big jump in building permits in May, setting a recent record in fact, while many large Canadian cities are seeing declines in permit activity due to the affordability crisis. Edmonton is a national leader in efficiently administering the building code and other regulations, which is a major contributor to builder efficiency, and affordability.
Our people are the heart of our success, and are aided by a leading e-services environment, a risk based approach utilizing artificial intelligence, and strong collaboration with our building community.
Affordability is an Edmonton advantage, and we have every intention of continuing to be the best large municipality for those seeking an affordable home.

Sprawl bad, density good. As I write this post I am sitting in my vehicle at millwoods town center. When I look around at the surroundings that I see, the density here is so minimal. There could easily be a half dozen or more towers built in this area that would increase density. This area has so much potential if the right amenities are added to this area and the current things here are improved. There is a hospital, a recreation center, high schools, a nice large community park with sports fields, plenty of shopping.
an LRT stop, a transit center. Not much more is needed except a whole lot more high density residential.

Back