Prairie Sky Gondola | 76.2m | ?s | Prairie Sky | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
What do you guys feel is the biggest risk to the project? Have there been any recent setbacks?

A while back there was a survey that mentioned a $50 annual pass. Is this still something you're considering?

Will you be integrating your downtown station design with the new ped bridge?

Great to have you guys on the forum!
Great questions, and not easy ones. Without wanting to sound evasive, the greatest risks to out of the box projects of this size are misinformation and apathy.

Last summer we contracted Steer Group, a global consulting firm, to review our business case. One part of the exercise was for them to do a feasibility study and to do that they did a survey where amongst many things they wanted to assess the market's appetite for the project, which includes different fare options.

We heard that people were interested in family passes but also an add on to their ETS monthly pass. Visitors were also more than willing to pay $50 to take the gondola.

Our fare structure has not been finalized, but what Steer Group concluded was that our business case was sound and so we are continuing to refine what this means for Edmonton.

We are early in the regulatory process so we don't yet have schematic designs for our stations. However, the City admin team in charge of the 100 Street Pedestrian Bridge Crossing did ask to meet with us to see if in case both of our projects are approved if we would be willing to have the bridge llink to the top of our Downtown station. We said, "Absolutely, yes!"

Hello everyone, one of the members on this forum invited us to join the conversation and reading your comments we first want to thank you for your enthusiasm and support for our ropeway project in Edmonton. It means a lot to our team.

If you have any questions, ask away.

While waiting, we can confirm we are not asking for taxpayer dollars. We are a private company willing to fully-fund this project. And yea we will have sureties in place to protect taxpayers.

Also, our integration with ARC is independent from ETS in that it is managed by VIX in Australia. We have to pay into it to be part, which is a different contract than ETS'. We did have to ask for authorization to be part however, but this has no financial impact on the system. We still have to pay our own way. Integration is more about offering the flexibility to hop on and off from different modes of transportation, which has been shown to help people chose new ways of moving.

Lastly, we can confirm that attracting international investors, including FIFA to yeg, is all based on our ability to demonstrate innovative, forward thinking and daring ideas. We have been able to demonstrate that vibrancy and continuing that legacy will not only bring curiosity but also trust in our projects.
First off, welcome to the forum! It's absolutely wonderful to see your team here, and I truly hope that you continue to engage with members on here! It means a lot to us that you're willing to go out of your way to do this :)

I have a couple of questions.

First, if the Capital Region Partnership (the group of regional transit agencies behind Arc) doesn't want you integrated into the system, would it be possible for riders to link two unafiliated accounts (Arc and yours) to one Arc card?

Second, has your team given any consideration to how you'd coexist with the Edmonton Radial Railway Society's High Level Bridge streetcar line? I'm a member of the organization (not an exec), so I'm admittedly both excited and nervous for this project. I'd absolutely love to see this happen, and I hope it succeeds, but I just don't want it to completely overshadow the streetcar and push it aside. It travels a slightly different route, and has a different atmosphere obviously, but the ROW isnt too different. Has anyone reached out to them, and given consideration to how your Whyte Ave terminal could compliment their Whyte Ave terminal? Who knows, maybe you two could even share common infrastructure — like a waiting room?

First off, welcome to the forum! It's absolutely wonderful to see your team here, and I truly hope that you continue to engage with members on here! It means a lot to us that you're willing to go out of your way to do this :)

First, if the Capital Region Partnership (the group of regional transit agencies behind Arc) doesn't want you integrated into the system, would it be possible for riders to link two unafiliated accounts (Arc and yours) to one Arc card?

Second, has your team given any consideration to how you'd coexist with the Edmonton Radial Railway Society's High Level Bridge streetcar line? I'm a member of the organization (not an exec), so I'm admittedly both excited and nervous for this project. I'd absolutely love to see this happen, and I hope it succeeds, but I just don't want it to completely overshadow the streetcar and push it aside. It travels a slightly different route, and has a different atmosphere obviously, but the ROW isnt too different. Has anyone reached out to them, and given consideration to how your Whyte Ave terminal could compliment their Whyte Ave terminal? Who knows, maybe you two could even share common infrastructure — like a waiting room?
Thanks so much and our intent is to be as available as possible.

I, the person responding to you, don't have the answer to your first question as I haven't been part of all of the ARC meetings and conversations, so let me get back to you.

Regarding the second, we are 100% supportive of ERRS! So much so that we will have a booth on Sat, May 21 at the unveiling of their new platform on Whyte Ave.

Both of our teams love what each are doing and as we were told by one of your board members, "The Old & the New." And indeed, that's the idea. Streetcars were very innovative in their time, and our contention is they continue to be relevant in modern times. Our technology is just the latest in a long line of innovative solution to transportation.

So feel free to come and say hi on Sat, May 21 from 9am - 5pm. We will also have engineers from DIALOG present to answer technical questions!

And regarding the Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Station: Those are great ideas.

Our station was moved and will now be located one block north of ERRS' platform, so we no longer interfere with ERRS's route.

This means we will be located on the bike lane across from the Old Strathcona's Farmers Market and on the East side of that block. The Market also has new plans, which they are unveiling this week, and we are all very supportive of each other.

There is real synergy happening in Old Stratcona between all of our projects, including Beljian's vision on the South side of Whyte by the old CPR station.

Thanks so much and our intent is to be as available as possible.

I, the person responding to you, don't have the answer to your first question as I haven't been part of all of the ARC meetings and conversations, so let me get back to you.

Regarding the second, we are 100% supportive of ERRS! So much so that we will have a booth on Sat, May 21 at the unveiling of their new platform on Whyte Ave.

Both of our teams love what each are doing and as we were told by one of your board members, "The Old & the New." And indeed, that's the idea. Streetcars were very innovative in their time, and our contention is they continue to be relevant in modern times. Our technology is just the latest in a long line of innovative solution to transportation.

So feel free to come and say hi on Sat, May 21 from 9am - 5pm. We will also have engineers from DIALOG present to answer technical questions!
That is wonderful to hear, you just made my whole week!

I appreciate that you'll look into this for me, thank you.

Oh wow, that's awesome! I'm already planning to be there, I just didn't want to bring it up since I obviously can't just invite you haha. I'll be sure to stop by your booth for sure, and I'll spread the word to others who could be interested.

I'm so excited to hear that these two organizations are embracing each other like this, and I can't wait to see what can come out of it. Since you'll be right by the farmers market, that also means you'll be right across from the ERRS streetcar barn and their museum. It'd be wonderful to see that entire area turned into a pedestrian square of sorts that highlights both attractions (as well as the farmers market). That's probably related to what mean when you refer to "synergy".

Overall, it sounds like your team is trying very hard to be a good neighbour, and make the area better for everyone - above and beyond what is in just your interests. This is development that Edmonton sorely needs, and I am so excited to see this play out.

It's interesting that the two councillors whose wards this project would benefit greatly are, at this point, either opposed (Janz) or on the fence (Stevenson). I heard her a bit tonight at her ward community conversation on Facebook and she is not that knowledgeable about the project especially compared to the people on this forum. There's a lot of misinformation about it that's out there, too.

I mean this is a transformative project in my eyes and having a champion for it on council would be nice - especially since Janz has started his campaign against it.

There is skepticism and perhaps some fear that the city may be left holding the bag if this doesn't turn out as planned. I think we elect our councilors not to be cheerleaders, but to scrutinize things prudently.

Hostility is a different thing, and perhaps a few are, but I wouldn't lump councilors together here.

I also listened to Anne Stevenson on Facebook last night. The video was garbled, but from what I can decipher she welcomes the private investors but wants to make sure due diligence is followed with respect to environment sensitivity and indigenous rights.

I also listened to Anne Stevenson on Facebook last night. The video was garbled, but from what I can decipher she welcomes the private investors but wants to make sure due diligence is followed with respect to environment sensitivity and indigenous rights.

Her exact comments to begin (anyone can go to her Facebook page and listen) when asked about it, were:

"I'm still waiting for a lot more details. I have to confess, I'm somewhat skeptical of it".

I'd say summarizing that as she is currently on the fence on this issue is accurate.

And that is fine - more info does need to be reported and questions answered. But I don't have access to the info council has on this file but I can tell you that Prairie Sky are not asking for city money and that they will have money allocated on the side should this fail so they can make the river valley whole prior to this project, and indigenous groups are being consulted and on the committee, etc. But she did not seem to be aware of these details yet - just a bit surprising to me because it's a significant issue for the ward/city. I also work full time (crap, I better get back to it) but I feel I have a better understanding and can speak to the issue.

When asked about the new warehouse park, she began with, "I have to confess, I have not had a chance to look at the detailed designs recently."

Umm ok.

Last edited:
That is wonderful to hear, you just made my whole week!

I appreciate that you'll look into this for me, thank you.

Oh wow, that's awesome! I'm already planning to be there, I just didn't want to bring it up since I obviously can't just invite you haha. I'll be sure to stop by your booth for sure, and I'll spread the word to others who could be interested.

I'm so excited to hear that these two organizations are embracing each other like this, and I can't wait to see what can come out of it. Since you'll be right by the farmers market, that also means you'll be right across from the ERRS streetcar barn and their museum. It'd be wonderful to see that entire area turned into a pedestrian square of sorts that highlights both attractions (as well as the farmers market). That's probably related to what mean when you refer to "synergy".

Overall, it sounds like your team is trying very hard to be a good neighbour, and make the area better for everyone - above and beyond what is in just your interests. This is development that Edmonton sorely needs, and I am so excited to see this play out.
Thanks and can't wait to meet you in 10 days!

It's interesting that the two councillors whose wards this project would benefit greatly are, at this point, either opposed (Janz) or on the fence (Stevenson). I heard her a bit tonight at her ward community conversation on Facebook and she is not that knowledgeable about the project especially compared to the people on this forum. There's a lot of misinformation about it that's out there, too.

I mean this is a transformative project in my eyes and having a champion for it on council would be nice - especially since Janz has started his campaign against it.
We agree with you and after the municipal election we contacted every Edmonton City Counsellor to introduce them to the project or update them.

We met with Councillor Stevenson and we have deep respect for her. As a thoughtful and process oriented individual we appreciate she is taking a step approach before positioning herself.

We agree with you that having Champions at City Council makes a difference, and we have found a few which we are grateful for.

We will also need support from individuals like yourselves, to show up at Executive Council on Aug 10 and then City Council on Aug 14. Having you bring your enthusiasm for our ropeway project at those meetings would make a big difference & mean a lot to us.

Too many anti business left wing tree hugging councilors, this is a fantastic project and will be a benefit to the city and the overall feel to our downtown just as the arena district has done.
Cheers, feels so great to read your positive take. We so want to be part of the Downtown community and bring people back and forth to games, concerts, eat & drink but also work. How fun wouldn't it be to have a sea of Orange & Blue crossing the river!

It would also be so nice to be able to have Whyte Ave & Jasper Ave officially connect and benefit from each other. They both have great vibes!

There is skepticism and perhaps some fear that the city may be left holding the bag if this doesn't turn out as planned. I think we elect our councilors not to be cheerleaders, but to scrutinize things prudently.

Hostility is a different thing, and perhaps a few are, but I wouldn't lump councilors together here.
Absolutely fair. Due diligence is very important which is why the City has a rigorous regulatory process and asked us to commit to 6 principles.

We've been at it since 2018, so a lot of time is being given to make sure the City and taxpayers are protected. We do intend to be successful however!

Attachments

• 53122456-46B1-492F-8687-089054E2D7A4.jpeg
    53122456-46B1-492F-8687-089054E2D7A4.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 45
We too are 100% committed to having a thorough environmental assessment as well as meaningful and robust engagement with Indigenous People. These have to wait until we get the go-ahead from the City in August.

One of our Board members is Cam Cardinal, and he will keep us to the task. We have also committed to hire an Indigenous consultant to lead the formal Indigenous engagement.

We will have a number of announcements about this in June, so keep your eyes open.

Back