• I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
According to Ken Cantor on C2E, the former Lodge Hotel, directly east of the Brighton Block, has been sold in a judicial sale. It sounds like the new owners are keen to get it completed and leased, including with a restaurant tenant.

This is the building that was set to become the Ukrainian Canadian Archives and Museum of Alberta (UCAMA) before they ran into financial issues.

I had hoped that the UCAMA would have gotten its act together and finished the museum -- too bad. On the flip side this is a building that deserves a new life -- I hope that it gets the respect that it deserves. This block will fill out quickly when Alldritt's project across the street begins construction.

I couldn't find a thread on the neighbouring UCAMA project so I'll leave this here;
City needs better rules for funding agreements, auditor finds

The article states the Pendennis/ Kenmo/ Lodge Hotel building was recently purchased for $2 million by LEDR Developments. Apparently the UCAMA is no longer involved with the project, but LEDR is planning "to continue to create a museum space inside the building."

"Six groups in the city's Ukrainian community are currently working together to develop a business case to lease the space, she said. Any agreement would include the option to purchase the building down the road."

"Construction on the base building is expected to be completed in October, then work can begin inside to create the museum space."

Makes me super happy to see this moving ahead! The whole stretch of Jasper between 97 and 96 has the potential to be something amazing, and its great to see more and more of these kind of projects sprouting up along it. My only wish is that the old Gem theatre could've hung around a bit longer.

I hope the next heritage building along that stretch of Jasper that receives some TLC is the Jasper House Hotel/Hub Hotel - Edmonton's oldest brick building (built 1882). I would love to see the ground floor reverted back to its original state.
Great minds think alike — I had just mentioned that in another thread. I'd love to see something happen to the old Gem Theatre lot too; if those two could get done it'd really make this whole stretch shine.

I love what's happening in the Quarters so far. Ever since I can remember this building and the Brighton Block have been boarded up and derelict. As a younger citizen of this city (born in '86), too many of our heritage buildings had already been lost before I even stepped foot on this planet, and I can't help but feel a disservice of sorts was done to me and my generation due to shortsightedness by previous civic leaders. I'm very grateful we now have leaders and builders in this city who are interested in preserving what we have left. The Quarters is on the uprise, albeit slowly. Now we just need to get more people living there

Back