Peak Tower | 99.06m | 23s | Lighthouse HM | Davignon Martin

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
“2nd quarter of 2023?” Really? That soon to turn an assumed Paint ball range/The Walking Dead film set into 274 units?
My thoughts also, especially if it’s a potentially $60m reno? I’m unsure how much is already done but it’s an immense amount of work retroftting all the plumbing, HVAC, electrical just to get the bones in place to build out the apartment suites on the ~20 floors being converted, nevermind any other required repairs and maintenance to a building sitting empty for over half a decade. And this is assuming demo is all done already…

I like this project a lot. Although the tower is already built I see this as an equal to building a new apartment tower even though they aren’t really making an addition to the skyline. Before it used to be office and was busy 9-5. Hotel right here would’ve been great but it wouldn’t be 100% full 365 days of the year. Changing it to apartments will make this building alive 24/7. Hopefully this project finds success and creates some momentum in people wanting to live on Jasper. Anyone know if the exterior renos are still the same? The renders look really good to me.

A hotel still would have been the best choice for the area in terms of activity and impact, but apartments are ok too.

I get that COVID disrupted things for hotels a great deal, but I have a feeling just as this project is completed rental vacancy will start to go up and there will be more demand for downtown hotel space.

Good timing is not building for the market as it exists or existed in the recent past, but planning for the future. I also think this particular location still lends itself better to being a hotel and the coming and going of hotel guests would make the area as lively or perhaps more lively than residential.

A neat factoid about this building: it was built by a local Edmonton company by the name of Batoni-Bowlen, who also built the Northlands Coliseum. It was a partnership between Peter Batoni and Pat Bowlen, the latter of which owned the Denver Broncos from 1984 until his death in 2019 (after which, the heir to the Walmart fortune spent nearly $5 billion USD to buy it from his estate).

^^^^ Another neat factoid about this building is that was a joint venture design effort between Wayne Scott Architect and Powell Blackburn Design Ltd., the Powell in the latter being yours truly.
VERY neat factoid indeed!!!

Back