Oliver Crossing | 21m | 7s

^If that's not Edmonton's newest and most honest branding yet, I don't know what is.

City of Champions
Gateway to the North
City of Champignons
Festival City
Alberta's Capital City
A confusing mix of pickups and hipsters
Photoradar Mecca
Deadmonton
Smoothie Capital of the World
Take A Risk...

Edmonton - it exists. People will live in it!

^If that's not Edmonton's newest and most honest branding yet, I don't know what is.

City of Champions
Gateway to the North
City of Champignons
Festival City
Alberta's Capital City
A confusing mix of pickups and hipsters
Photoradar Mecca
Deadmonton
Smoothie Capital of the World
Take A Risk...

Edmonton - it exists. People will live in it!
That is the most Calgarian thing you ever said.

Well...at least they are using one of the best local masonry companies - Scorpio.
Maybe that's why it looks a bit better than in the pictures. I would say overall its not so bad, but not great. I suppose not every building can be spectacular and there a market for cheap and basic housing. It does make some sense to have affordable student housing close to a major educational institution.

I think part of the problem here is we have quite a bit of the cheap and basic already and some people here have been really trying to raise the bar on how things look overall. One of the most fascinating things for me is how it is not unusual here in Edmonton for homes to look plain or basic from the outside, but actually quite nice on the inside. Either we aren't as focused on trying to impress others, or we are just are not good at it - perhaps a bit of both.

The biggest disappointment with this site for me was the loss of the historic character building and how little it was incorporated into this project - that could have made for a more distinctive and interesting building ... missed opportunity.

it looks very plain, but if this had faux mullions made of plastic between the panels and apply whatever color to it, that project would change completely. Think of the dollar store's package of three lighters multi colors. Use the exact dimension but elongated to the lengths required, I would wager it would look appealing. As is, it is like a girl putting on her face where all she did was apply the foundation and thought she was finished without mascara, lipstick, or blush etc.

They’ve painted some surfaces and added other textures/finishes. I’m definitely not saying it’s a great building, but it’s looking way better than it did at first.
A0C12B7C-1829-4B26-BE36-075758E19FEE.jpeg
59DBDDCD-36B8-49E4-A68A-F57DE88C0EBF.jpeg82B506F6-4B73-43EE-B6FA-A8BE1C282B66.jpeg6AEEC0E4-D863-4801-ABA2-DE431A7C0FB3.jpeg

Back