Oliver Crossing | 21m | 7s

Avenuer

Member Bio
Reaction score
On the site of Louisiana Purchase, Prive and Urban Timber:

391504991 4-16-2021 11-07-23 AM.png

391504991 4-16-2021 11-36-21 AM.png

Here's more info about the buildings being torn down. They both used to be part of Sanford Oil, and opened ~75 years ago. They are two of the ~1000 buildings on the city's historic register. However, like the vast majority of these buildings, they have no legal protections. Only 165 historic buildings are fully protected as of now. 8-12 historic buildings are demolished every year in Edmonton.

Here's more info about the buildings being torn down. They both used to be part of Sanford Oil, and opened ~75 years ago. They are two of the ~1000 buildings on the city's historic register. However, like the vast majority of these buildings, they have no legal protections. Only 165 historic buildings are fully protected as of now. 8-12 historic buildings are demolished every year in Edmonton.
It's frustrating seeing this. Go to cities that have been around for hundreds of years longer than Edmonton and you see buildings retained yet we struggle to keep character, historical buildings that have been around since the early 1900's. If places like Rome had this mindset, the city would have been demolished and turned over 10 times by now. Boston, New York, Montreal all have historic buildings integrated into their fabric and apart of their development - the Bay downtown Montreal just announced a gorgeous redevelopment of the historic store. We demolish our 75 year old buildings and turn them into dirt lots or the equivalent of f***ing macaroni glued on a piece of paper developments.

If this building is stick built I wonder about the viability with the price of lumber which in some cases has almost quadrupled in the past year if you can get it. Maybe steel studs are more economically adva.

It's frustrating seeing this. Go to cities that have been around for hundreds of years longer than Edmonton and you see buildings retained yet we struggle to keep character, historical buildings that have been around since the early 1900's. If places like Rome had this mindset, the city would have been demolished and turned over 10 times by now. Boston, New York, Montreal all have historic buildings integrated into their fabric and apart of their development - the Bay downtown Montreal just announced a gorgeous redevelopment of the historic store. We demolish our 75 year old buildings and turn them into dirt lots or the equivalent of f***ing macaroni glued on a piece of paper developments.
I agree completely; future generations will have a much more difficult time trying to appreciate our history if it's all "theoretical", and there's nothing tangible left to reach out and touch, or make us of.

On another note, I just gave Eagle Builders a call to express my disappointment in this. The lady I spoke with was very respectful and understanding, and took down my info so that someone can call me back.

Last edited:
If this building is stick built I wonder about the viability with the price of lumber which in some cases has almost quadrupled in the past year if you can get it. Maybe steel studs are more economically adva.
I have been pondering a lot about this cursed thing. It can't be wooden stickbuilt ( atleast not conventionally, mass timber could but that's more expensive than steel i understand) because code only allows 6 stories stickframed, and depending on building area even less. this thing is 7. Which is super weird. Assuming it's concrete due to code rules, why not go higher? why not incorporate more uses, since your assemblies can easily be fire rated for more? idk.
I guess it could be steel stud though? that seems a bit odd but it could work. but again. all that effort to go beyond the height limits on woodframe, to only add one more floor? WHY?!
it all seems ridiculous, never mind what they're destroying to build it.

I don't know what it is, but recently I am increasingly increasingly frustrated with what goes on in Edmonton. From seeing buildings destroyed to be replaced by ugly replacements, garbage and dirt around the city, developments that have stalled with empty unattended lots, constant developments that are outright ugly, homelessness and vagrants running rampant around downtown and Whyte, an uninspiring city council about to be replaced by another uninspiring city council, etc. I think it's a cumulation of non-positive events, experiences and situations that have just broke my spirit around here recently. I recognize this is slightly off topic but I think this development and the demolition of the buildings in place while the patch of grass to the north remains untouched has just finally set me off. End of rant.

I don't know what it is, but recently I am increasingly increasingly frustrated with what goes on in Edmonton. From seeing buildings destroyed to be replaced by ugly replacements, garbage and dirt around the city, developments that have stalled with empty unattended lots, constant developments that are outright ugly, homelessness and vagrants running rampant around downtown and Whyte, an uninspiring city council about to be replaced by another uninspiring city council, etc. I think it's a cumulation of non-positive events, experiences and situations that have just broke my spirit around here recently. I recognize this is slightly off topic but I think this development and the demolition of the buildings in place while the patch of grass to the north remains untouched has just finally set me off. End of rant.
Which specific buildings are you talking about?

The homeless/vagrants issue is something all downtowns are experiencing right now and that's because 80% of the daytime population is WFH. Things will get back to normal over the coming months (I am thinking more September).

Another 'uninspiring City Council', too premature to say that at this moment.

Garbage and dirt, we deal with this every year around this time. I really do hope the City gears up their streetcleaning.

Anyways, I am proud of the types of developments we're doing to make this a better City - The Strathcona Hotel, Substation 600, Station Park, Scona Garage, Oliver Exchange 2. Richards Block renovation, with more coming that I would love share. We're doing this because we love this City and believe in its future. Reality is that we could be doing this anywhere, but we remain committed doing it here. It's easy to get 'distracted' with what pisses you off and complaining is easy. Actually wanting to make a difference and influence change takes hard work, perseverance and patience.

Back