News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Poor game overall by the entire Oilers team, terrible giveways (6x Van's numbers), some bad luck, poor reffing and some of the weakest shots attempts I've ever seen (despite what it says above).

Bouch let the puck out of the zone at 3 key moments that continues to irk me.

I must have counted 10 times they could have driven the net, but instead circled back ending in a nothing play.

Van did a good job clogging things up again and have a incredible breakout/transition speed.

I was at the game and it felt like the Oilers were playing in November.

They say that goal tending is half the game unless you don’t get it and then it’s 90% of the game…

Vancouver got great goaltending in tonight’s game and Edmonton although four posts certainly helped.

Skinner simply wasn't as good and the team wasn’t able to make up for that. Having said that, I look forward to seeing him start on Tuesday.. I think you dance with the one who got you here. While I wouldn’t mind seeing Pickard start as he’s also part of the reason we got here despite his not playing in either series until the third period tonight.

The last two third periods were really strong in front of both goalies so I think the team is similarly confident in both so it probably comes down to Knoblauch’s psyche management (something Woodcroft failed at last year).

Once again Skinner just played ok, but certainly was not at fault for 2-3 of those given the ineptness of the guys in front of him. Two brutal giveaways and some poor overall coverage led to him getting behind real quickly.

That game reminded me of something from the fall across the board.

Skinner needs to start next game and have a team actually playing in front of him.

If that is an L, then you go to #30.

This paired with little emotion is why we lost last night, not Skinner.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 1.28.46 PM.png

Once again Skinner just played ok, but certainly was not at fault for 2-3 of those given the ineptness of the guys in front of him. Two brutal giveaways and some poor overall coverage led to him getting behind real quickly.

That game reminded me of something from the fall across the board.

Skinner needs to start next game and have a team actually playing in front of him.

If that is an L, then you go to #30.
Still needs to make the big save, which he hasn't done all playoffs.

I think he's got the worst save % of all the remaining goalies in the playoffs. Not ideal if you want to go far in the playoffs.

He is between Bobrovskyi and Georgiev.

But yes, needs one more big save a game to make this work.

He is between Bobrovskyi and Georgiev.

But yes, needs one more big save a game to make this work.
Georgiev has been a sieve all his career.

And Bobrovsky is making the big save for Florida and their forwards are scoring.

I don't think Skinner is the guy to lead the Oilers to the promised land but that's just me.

He is what we have and has been solid since Nov, but has struggled in the playoffs, but again, it's the team in front of him that I am more concerned about.

We should have won last 7-4...

Upon further reflection, what the hell was our coach doing last night and why was there no response to McD getting put through the grinder? It was discombobulated and without care that I'm honestly confused as a fan and season ticket holder.

The team could have played better in front of Skinner but Skinner is not good enough. Canucks gave up 45 shots and Oilers won the grade A shot battle 24 - 10 so apparently the Canucks did not play great in front of their goalie either - actually worse then the Oilers - however their goalie made many many grade A saves. Skinners has not played well in any game this series - he cannot let in the 5th goal in game 1 - he needed to help get the team to OT - that was a terrible crushing goal against. The third goal in game two was unforgivable and it took maximum team effort to tie the game and win it in OT to overcome that horrendous goal. We might have beat Vegas last year if Woody had stopped giving Skinner more chances. To do that again this year is insane - time to go with Pickard. Pickard played very well in most of the 30ish games he played this year - he should start game 4 - too much at stake.

As per analysis, I can certainly get behind sitting out Perry. Disappointing that none of the three later season acquisitions - Perry, Henrique or Carrick - have made the team better right now than last year due to various reasons.

Last edited:

Back