News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Hopefully this is a Kawhi Leonard situation, though I do think he might be labouring a bit after the Calgary game, looked like he took a couple awkward falls and such. Hopefully nothing serious, best case scenario is they're just letting him rest a game or two from a nagging injury. I doubt it's a major, he might not have even sat out if the Oilers hadn't already clinched. I could be wrong though...

I doubt Connor Brown comes out, he's been playing great lately, and actually scoring. My guess would be either Derek Ryan or Mattias Janmark. I'd rather sit Janmark, I think DR adds more in terms of his penatly killing and general versatility. Janmark is a decent puck carrier, but doesn't do much at either end of the ice outside of that. The other option would be Kane, who despite scoring twice against the Avs, is still not playing great. However, I think I like him playing on a physical third line with a scoring touch.

I would like them to sit Janmark, and slot Hollywood in the top-6, he's barely gotten a shot up there, only playing with McDavid or Drai for half a period here or there. It takes a while to get used to new assingments and line mates. He's shown flashes of being a really good top-6 player, but hasn't been given the opportunity to show what he can do so far. Give him at least 3 full periods on one of the top 2 lines instead of 10 minute stretches here or there. It's been shown time and time again that playing offensively talented prospects on checking lines is a really, really bad idea and you're probably better leaving them in the minors if they aren't NHL ready. I would say that he is definitely NHL ready. He may not become the top 6 player you're looking for, but at least give him a chance with a little more ice time and a more offensively skilled line.
Janmark is the best defensive forward on the team. Very few people give him credit for that.

McDavid apparently out "day to day" with a "lower body injury"...

Janmark is the best defensive forward on the team. Very few people give him credit for that.
He's decent, idk about the best.

He's 10th among Oilers forwards in expected goals against, 10th in high danger chances against, 11th in high danger chances against.

For more traditional stats, he's even on the year in plus/minus.

On the offensive side:

He's 12th in expected goals for, 9th in high danger chances for but 13th in high danger chances percentage.

Again for more traditional stats: 4g, 8 a, 12 pts.

All of this to say he's a decent all around bottom 6 player, but he's nothing special. He also isn't particularly great at any one thing. Derek Ryan is better than him at all of these defensive stats, I would say he's the Oilers best purely defensive forward, Henrique also does well in most defensive categories.

Last edited:
Potential Oilers fwd line combos tomorrow without McD against the Knights:

Holloway - Draisaitl - Foegele
Henrique - Nugent-Hopkins - Hyman
Kane - McLeod - Perry
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

I like leaving the bottom 6 intact, I like the way they're playing right now. For balance I put Draisaitl with the less skilled top 6 guys, he also has good chemistry with Foegele and Holloway has looked his best when he's played with Leon as well. The Henrique, Hyman, Nuge line may struggle in transition (Hyman is the only guy who really carries the puck well, even then it's not his best attribute), but I like their ability to hunt down pucks in the O-Zone and also be very solid defensively.

Potential Oilers fwd line combos tomorrow without McD against the Knights:

Holloway - Draisaitl - Foegele
Henrique - Nugent-Hopkins - Hyman
Kane - McLeod - Perry
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

I like leaving the bottom 6 intact, I like the way they're playing right now. For balance I put Draisaitl with the less skilled top 6 guys, he also has good chemistry with Foegele and Holloway has looked his best when he's played with Leon as well. The Henrique, Hyman, Nuge line may struggle in transition (Hyman is the only guy who really carries the puck well, even then it's not his best attribute), but I like their ability to hunt down pucks in the O-Zone and also be very solid defensively.
Apparently Oilersnation writers claim these will be the lines tomorrow night:

1.) RNH/Drai/Hyman
2.) Kaner/Henrique/McLovin
3.) Hollywood/Clouder/Perry
4.) Carrick, Janmark, Ryan, Brown

MacKinnon with a 4pt night and hatty and is in FULL beast mode.

Kuch with a multipoint to keep ahead.

McJesus will hit 100 apples, but I am starting to think that it is a two horse race; that's ok. The 100 assists is a substantial achievement, only the 4th time in history and the other two might remind him that others are out there to compete and so next year he will hit 213.

Back